Cleaning your smoker

Sarah Duffy

My smoker took a hit in some high winds before Xmas. Only minor things to fix to make it useable again but.. it needs a hell of a good clean. I read something about just doing a burn to clean? Any tips before I start getting the baking soda out and trying to soak and clean? Hoping to get it sorted on Tuesday so I can do pulled pork Thursday.

Thanks in advance!

There is no real requirement to clean the inside of your smoker, except for aesthetics, as it will naturally clean and sterilise the next time you fire it up. Just make sure that you remove any visible food residues and clean the cooking grates with soap and hot water. If you do want to do a "burn out" then simply bring it up to ~200C empty and let it run for an hour or so. After that remove any powdery residue with a soft wire brush. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wade said:

There is no real requirement to clean the inside of your smoker, except for aesthetics, as it will naturally clean and sterilise the next time you fire it up. Just make sure that you remove any visible food residues and clean the cooking grates with soap and hot water. If you do want to do a "burn out" then simply bring it up to ~200C empty and let it run for an hour or so. After that remove any powdery residue with a soft wire brush. 

Ah ha ok thank you!