ceramic bulb heater for cold smoker

Justin

Elitech digital controller cheap as chips arrived and I have connected  to Ceramic Bulb.  I extended the power wire to the bulb by 6m so I can keep controller inside and the bulb can stretch across to the smoker.

2m temp probe is too short so ordered 5m probe and will wire that into the digital controller.  Easy to do once you have look inside. Just check where the existing thermocouple wires into and copy  with the longer probe wire

It works perfect.  Heats up the small wsm quick smart to 20 21 degs c. form 12 degs c outside.  Nearly set up for  winter cold smoking when 20 degs c called for in smoked salmon per Wades  and Ruedeleglise advice, thx both

I would set it up with extractor fan in the garage, but no power in the garage and that is not going to change any time soon

My only concern is it K sensor wire, which I think is fine but not sure. (addendum, the K wire was useless, did not work)

Edited by Justin
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

You cold smoke slightly differently depending on what you are smoking. When smoking cheese or butter then yes you need to keep it cool to stop it from melting/sweating. Bacon too is best smoked cool, but as it has been cured it does not need to be chilled. With both of these you are smoking to add flavour and the smoking process adds little to the curing.

It is different though when you are cold smoking fish - especially Salmon and Trout. Here, although you use salt to begin the curing process, the smoking stage plays an important role in the overall curing by further reducing the water content of the fish. When cold smoking salmon it is best done at ~20 C with a good flow of air/smoke passing over the surface of the fish. This removed the moisture and gives the salmon the traditional smoked salmon oily texture.

10 hours ago, Dick Bee said:

Guess I just got lucky with the salmon I smoked then! The temp was around 14° throughout. I was monitoring it to stop it getting too warm! I did check the weight loss, which was close to 30%.

What smoker were you using the pro q maze or a tube. heat out put from the pro q is really low

On 11/26/2018 at 9:01 PM, Justin said:

Waiting for cable. Will be a couple weeks from China! I have some cable ties that I use to tidy up my laptop are up for work. They will keep it need and tidy.

1543266006362338871292.thumb.jpg.9f9cb11d6b4a1654f92df5a2842a81d3.jpg

Probe cable not suitable wired it in and got e1 error so scrap that, back to the original probe length

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Justin said:

What smoker were you using the pro q maze or a tube. heat out put from the pro q is really low

I was using a tube type half filled as ProQ  didn't seem to me to produce enough smoke in my incinerator type smoker. I may have been wrong! Being a beginner I wanted lots of smoke as I thought that was the way to go. I tried the ProQ again yesterday, in empty smoker as it should be adequate in a 90 litre space. Not exactly billowing but probably ok. I'll try it with cheese today, Tesco have half price offer on Cathedral City or something similar.

OK, you do not want billowing, a gentle stream is all that is required... Wade knows this better than I.  Good luck with cheese.  Make sure when you take it out, leave it unwrapped in the open for an hour and then let it dry in fridge for three hours before wrapping? An once wrapped leave for 4 to 5 weeks for it to mellow.

I know hickory is the favourite but I found orange dust gave a lovely flavour to mature cheddar  if you find hickory an bit strong @Wade

I have an inexpensive Inkbird thermostatic  controller that I use to control the temperature in my honey warming cabinet as the thermostat in that is hopeless. That works well, maintains temperature +/- 1°C. (I want 40°C to liquify granulated honey without spoiling it). That should work with a reptile ceramic bulb type set up. I'm actually in the process of putting a biltong box together using this, though thermostatic control isn't needed for that.

• Like 1

Nice set up. Note ceramic bulb there is no heat sink other than the ceramic.  so it will not be as accurate as your honey warming set up. it doe not mstter for fish smoking, a bracket of plus minus 2 or 3 degrees on 20c is fine so 17 to 23 is ok

2 hours ago, Dick Bee said:

I have an inexpensive Inkbird thermostatic  controller that I use to control the temperature in my honey warming cabinet as the thermostat in that is hopeless. That works well, 

They are great inexpensive controllers with both heating and cooking sockets built in. I used to make my own units with PID controllers but I don't bother any more - I just use these.