Just started a Stilton.

Icefever

I get to have 90 mins sit down and have a cuppa now....waiting on the rennet to do its job before I move on to the next stage... a couple of photos as promised.

Pot sat in the sous vide plastic box...milk hit 30c in around 20/25 mins.

20181125_035245.thumb.jpg.10b6afee0db7a103f504ec3cef2a065b.jpg

I thought why the wand is holding at 30c I just check the milk thermo in the water bath just out of curiosity, we all know how accurate these dial thermos are??  it reads 32c.. 🤣

20181125_035711.thumb.jpg.d2b15efff9ba1527879ea493b8e62c1f.jpg

You can just see the speck of  Roquefort blue that's has been added.

20181125_041238.thumb.jpg.92dfb9c1ef918aa2cd66b9b12895aaf3.jpg

• Like 4

The reason I went for a Stilton is the maturing time is only around 3 months,  plus we love our blue cheeses.   Another fact is you don't need a full press, any 4kg weight will do. The curds are wrapped in cloth and placed between 2 chopping boards with a 4kg weight for 12 hours.

After that, the curds are milled & salted packed in a form/mould and left for 4 days...if all goes to plan we should be able to taste around Feb.

Ice

• Like 1

OK easy peasy then or maybe not.I imagine you can pick any number of molds if not wrapped properly?  Semi permeable bag might help?  Hmm might have to try this. 

You said you are making 2 gallon Stilton, is that the amount of milk you started with? If so, what weight roughly does it end up being?

If not then how much milk did you start with.

How much rennet did you add, is their a ratio to amount of milk?

And you stated the mold with Rocquetfort, how much to ratio of milk, is their a ratio or guesstimate? 

On 11/27/2018 at 9:03 AM, Justin said:

OK easy peasy then or maybe not.I imagine you can pick any number of molds if not wrapped properly?  Semi permeable bag might help?  Hmm might have to try this. 

You said you are making 2 gallon Stilton, is that the amount of milk you started with? If so, what weight roughly does it end up being?

If not then how much milk did you start with.

How much rennet did you add, is their a ratio to amount of milk?

And you stated the mold with Rocquetfort, how much to ratio of milk, is their a ratio or guesstimate? 

Sorry mate don't know how I missed this post. The blue mould is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penicillium_roqueforti

It's a strong mould and no other mould will survive alongside it, as for wrapping, not for the days that it's drying out at room temp. Wrap it and mould will not grow well as it needs oxygen just like us, it also gives off C02.  I have to use a skewer later today to make holes so that the mould can grow towards the centre of the cheese.

A total of 2 galls.... full fat, 500ml of single cream...finished up with a 1.190 kg wheel.  If you intend to have a go at it you will need this.

https://www.gnltd.co.uk/goat-nutrition/cheese-making-products/cheese-making-cultures/mesophilic-type-ii-cheese-culture-for-cheese-making.html

Also half a teaspoon of rennet mixed in 60ml of bottled water...(NOT FROM THE TAP)

This is the video I used mate well worth a look. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hX-Y_Iv9Cc

Ice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Wade said:

A good looking cheese. It looks as if it is going to be quite a strong one from the amount of mould. Did you mix the mould in with the curds or did you use an inoculation needle?

This recipe calls for the blue to be added at the start, straight into the milk leave for a couple of mins then stir as you warm the milk.

Ice.

50 minutes ago, Justin said:

Yes impressive. If we can work out the ratios to be costient across a range of weights (2 gallons to 500ml etc) it will be easier to make something smaller too. That is a lot of stilton. Once finished do you vac and wrap it in to segments? 

I would say that you could half the recipe without any problem.  There seems to be a few ways of wrapping cheese,  wax,  cheese paper, greaseproof paper, butchers paper...etc etc. One guy wraps in one layer wax paper, followed by foil....I'm taking more interest in what the cheeses in the better supermarkets are wrapped in.

That's because he is using a hoop....a tube for his Stilton...I only have the two moulds so far, I've ordered a Stilton hoop yesterday ready for my next go.