Multiple pieces being cold smoked at same time.

Ruedeleglise

1 hour ago, Justin said:

Gotta start somewhere.  Question: Like cheese being packed and left to mature the smoke taste, is salmon the same?

In my VERY restricted experience I find the taste of newly home smoked salmon improves..or changes quite a lot over 48 hrs or so. I am sure the taste gets absorbed from the surface and equates throughout the flesh. I am sure Wade or others far more experienced than a newbie like me will give you a definitive answer.

Wrapped in clingfilm?  I might wrap and leave it outside tonight in safe place.  It will stink out the food in the fridge ( I do not have a separate one for smoked goods),  Thanks for the advice.

And yes i believe wrapping will relax the food and the small squeeze will brig ile out for softer texture,  I will take i out in a mo 23 hours so far. Static 13 degs c in wsm at he mo.

temp tonight is  6 degs so that is cold enough to leave it out

5 minutes ago, Justin said:

Wrapped in clingfilm?

I suppose making it cooler makes it easy to carve as well

I place mine in a stainless steel tray and cover with clingfilm but wrapping in clingfilm will work just as well.

Yes it does make it a little firmer to carve and also keeping it chilled once smoked is good food handling practice.

• Thanks 1

Sliced and packed now. On freezer. Beautiful sweet oil texture. Maple wood dust is lovely.

Knife worked perfectly. 

20181124_152636.thumb.jpg.d0155f1e3ed90c8a775fc65c06074bb6.jpgIMG-20181124-WA0001.thumb.jpg.b351caa710aed17903c7ba7d4ba55b5d.jpgIMG-20181124-WA0002.thumb.jpg.9757da34a999baa3981c967ee4aaa53e.jpg

Thank for the tips and advice. In the end it was 23hr smoke and temp never got over 13 degs c. 9.5% weight loss. But has turned out very good. Happy 

• Like 4