Cheese anyone???

Icefever

3 hours ago, valve90210 said:

Are there any updates on this? How did it turn out, are you making more?

Turned out ok...Stilton was better and you only have to wait 12 weeks....I'm looking at starting again now the kitchen is 98% finished.

Will have to wait until after our holls...

Ice.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with some cheese we made & currently have maturing. 

It's cheddar which is in it's 5th week of maturing. The cheddar is waxed. I've noticed that the wax is starting to balloon on both flats. I presume this isn't right?

The cheddar didn't have any mold growth on it before waxing & had been washed & dried with a salt brine before waxing. I'm presuming the ballooning is down to a reaction with internal mold growth. I've read that I could remove the wax, clean & brine the cheese again, then rewax presuming it's not to far gone.

What are the thoughts here before I break the wax to see whats going on?

This is my first attempt at making cheese so i'm a bit in the dark.

Cheers n Gone Nick

IMG_20191206_111129.thumb.jpg.97435ca7e4727ee93c81c8079ddb0731.jpg

Edited by Skagg2000
Image upload

2 hours ago, Skagg2000 said:

I'm presuming the ballooning is down to a reaction with internal mold growth. I've read that I could remove the wax, clean & brine the cheese again, then rewax presuming it's not to far gone.

@Skagg2000 I think you've hit the nail on the head mate,  I've not had this happen but there has to be some pressure to blow the wax like that photo. I'm afraid that you may not like what you see,  I did have one cheddar that had no signs of trouble, until I cut into it.....needless to say that one went in the bin....I've got my fingers crossed for you....let us know.

ps....have you tried making a stilton??

Ice.

So i cut the top off the cheese where the wax had swelled expecting the worst.....No mold! 

The cheese does look a little bit on the white side, more wensleydale than mature cheddar, but i presume that may be due to it still being young?

It smells like cheese not rank, so I presume it's still good. Rightly or wrongly I've resealed it & left it be for another couple of weeks.

IMG_20191206_142418.thumb.jpg.ddcff95b5600acae145545c3fe752d4c.jpg

This is my first attempt at making any sort of cheese. It appeared the easiest in the book to start with. Blue cheese is where I want to get to if this turns out OK

Cheers n Gone Nick

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Icefever said:

Well done dude,  it's turned out ok after all...The trouble  with cheedar is the year you need to mature. Stilton is just as easy and it only takes 12 weeks to mature,  that's when it's at it's best. 

A couple of photos......

20181201_060205.thumb.jpg.7fc1d56af5a4d4d32784e771267f29ab.jpg

20190106_131811.thumb.jpg.bf2a569e03f1b96ba38b881c0478e7b7.jpg

Ice.

I would happily swap you a couple of homebrew for a slice of that mate

5 hours ago, Justin said:

Must have been delicious...

It was...I want to get going again making cheese,  not had the time with moving home this year,  but a large part is now done so I now have a little more time.  I'm going to give our sous vide bath a go at holding the milk at temp,  we always use the sous vide wand these days.  I think there maybe a video on youtube not sure, I've seen or read about using sous vide to keep the milk at a constant temp...

Ice.