Is it cured?

markie_q

I have just herd back from Andy at Angus & Oink and I have to say that the cure ingredients are very promising. When used as directed you would end up with the following ingoing levels:

Salt – 2.4-2.7 %
Sugar – 0.3-0.6 %
Nitrite – up to 60 mg/Kg (Ppm)
Nitrate – up to 60 mg/Kg (Ppm)

These salt levels are ideal and you will certainly not need to soak the bacon after curing. I am a little concerned that the Nitrite levels are a little on the low side and also that it contains Nitrate - but all in all I can see why the bacon turned out well  :thumb1:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Icefever said:

First batch down,  enjoy and then get to thinking about the next batch.  What do you fancy???  what about doing some loin??  we're going to get the slicer out later on and finish these two slabs of loin we've had drying for 4 days.

Ice.

After tasting the bacon straight after the curing stage, I went straight out and bought some loin ?

Already planning on picking some belly up today to get some more streaky on the go.

My other half seems a little concerned that I may be going overboard. 

Also have a piece of brisket in the fridge curing for a pastrami attempt next weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My other half seems a little concerned that I may be going overboard. 

Isn't it strange how it's left to us to "blaze a trail" and only after tasting the results do our obsessions become tolerated.

Eventually you may find you are getting requests about what to make next. ?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Adman said:

Isn't it strange how it's left to us to "blaze a trail" and only after tasting the results do our obsessions become tolerated.

LOL yes - though I still get "thats not another BBQ you have bought is it!" when she finally finds the new one I sneaked in :wife:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1