Recruitment

Justin

I like the basic look of the site from the index page, but I feel a bit of colour for the headers would differentiate the different sections within it.

As an example I have been a member of this forum for 6+ years ukvapers it is very similar layout to this site. But just the slightly more bold text and bit of colour makes it easier to differentiate between  the sub forums and discussion topics. At the moment this site blurs into one big page to scroll through and maybe easy to miss a particular areas of the forum that people may be more interested than others on here. Within the vapers site I have 3 or 4 sections that interest me and I tend to read these more often than the ones that don't interest me and i certainly find it easier on that site to be able to find them and do this. Maybe making different sub forums stand out will make it easier for people to find something more easier that interests them when visiting the site.

Just a comment not  a criticism and not sure what control you have in the layout of the forum to change it anyway. 

• Like 2

Also maybe a monthly or bi/monthly newsletter, highlighting popular topics, news events and a recipe or something, would keep reminding people about the site who have signed up but forgotten they have and encourage them to come back and contribute.

You can always add a tick to receive the newsletter when people sign up and if they don't want to they just don't check the box or vice versa 

• Like 1

It isn't easy recruiting new members word of mouth, google, facebook, vendors etc tend to do that, but you should definitely try and keep reminding/encouraging people about this site who have signed up but have forgotten they have and a newsletter is a good way of doing that

With regards vendors, maybe have a vendors sub section for them to post offers and discounts for members and for them being able to do it. Create a little banner with link when clicked for this site and ask them to display it on their website as a quid quo pro?

5 hours ago, Justin said:

I would ditch the groups i think and just use the forum thread on the events to post stuff. It is confusing to look at one or several and another 

I appreciate that is counter to present thinking, just an opinion

No, I think you have a good point. The Groups were first introduced in anticipation that advertisers would use them to talk about their products, BBQ teams would use them for discussion and regional groups would chat about local issues and events. It never really worked properly in the US forum either and they had a lot more members than us. One thing that also held our Groups back was that a number of management and segregation features we were expecting to be added by the software developers have yet to materialise. Currently I think the Groups have become a bit of a distraction and we probably need to totally rethink them.

• Like 3

Everyone should keep in mind that this forum is very young, it's only just a year old.  Another problem is the time of year,  most folks don't even think of using a BBQ in the winter.  Just because we keep up an interest in it.  In the short time we've been members we've taken on more styles of cooking than ever.  The old adage of "Maxima enim, patientia virtus "...(patience is the greatest virtue).  ?                   

Just my 2 cents.

Ice.

Edited by Icefever
  • Like 2

I am with wade on this. groups are not working as they were anticipated to and history in US forum they did not work either. That looks to me as enough reason. Simplify?  I wouldadmit  that keep them if any of the groups worked but none of them do?

• Like 2