Best salmon for cold smoking?

Ruedeleglise

Following the recent bad press concerning farmed salmon, I have just used Sockeye for the first time. The result is totally different. Do you experts have an opinion as to the preferred type/species of salmon, wild/farmed for traditional smoked salmon?

David.

I have just sliced some of this sockeye that I have prepared and smoked in exactly the same way as I did some other salmon. Taste is very different though not unpleasant but the texture is very different. Seems denser and less oily and not as translucent. Difficult to cut thin slices.

The difference in texture will be mainly down to their lifestyle. Whilst is is possible to farm Sockeye salmon it is quite difficult to do and not generally commercially viable. It is therefore likely that your Sockeye was a wild caught fish, which is more common. Being wild it would have undergone a more strenuous lifestyle and therefore have significantly less fat content than the more sedate farmed salmon. It is the fat (oil) content of the salmon that gives it the translucency - less fat = less translucent.

The texture and quality of wild salmon is also quite variable, which is why commercial smokeries tend to prefer the more consistent farmed salmon. 

• Thanks 1

There is also another difference we have to be aware of when dealing with wild caught fish. They sometimes contain parasites that can cause illness in humans if the fish isn't cooked. This should not be a problem with your Sockeye salmon as it would have been inspected for parasites before entering the food market.

You may find this link interesting background reading
http://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/299-why-do-we-sometimes-need-to-freeze-fish-before-smoking/

2 minutes ago, Ruedeleglise said:

Thanks. So what about rubbing olive oil into the flesh prior to smoking to increase the “oiliness” as I have read once elsewhere? 

An interesting suggestion but to be honest I have never tried it or seen it done.

• Like 1

Last one I did I was a Gin (cheap supermarket one) and tonic with long thin slices of Cucumber and crushed Schwarz Juniper Berries, it gave a very light overall delicate finished flavour to the salmon, but worked really well I thought. Almost describe the finished flavour as refreshing, which sounds a bit weird for food.

Thanks for the ideas! I am trying to master the simple, then I am looking forwards to experimentation. All set to have another go at straight “Scottish” style cold smoked salmon. Lack of weight loss seems to be a problem after curing. Am leaving this side for a good 30 hours to “equalise”. Looks good and developing a good sticky surface.....forgotten the word! Peticle or something!

I do simple as well, all ingredients in a large food safe plastic container and a couple of pieces of clingilm over the top of it and a weight on top   for up to a 3-5 days depending how big it is, wash and dry it off then just cold smoke it for 12 hours. Works for my tastes.

Edited by sotv

@Wade is the master of smoking fish. he has helped me loads and has an excellent guide on here. I personally smoke mine for 12 to 18 hours depending on size and level of smoke flavour i want.

I personally cure mine as explained earlier , then smoke it using either Apple, Beech or Silver Birch dust as it imparts a less strong flavour which I prefer, as I like to taste the fish and the flavours and herbs I have used as part of the cure/brine. But a lot of people use stronger wood dust like oak or hickory, for a more smoky flavour. Slicing and bagging and sealing strips of the salmon help improve the finished smoked flavour after you have smoked it I find as well.

I get the internal temperature of my ProQ up to around 90+F when cold smoking, so need a warmer night/day to get it up to there.at this time of the year.

As i say though Wade really knows his stuff on this so hopefully will come along and point you in the right direction with other hints and tips.

19 hours ago, Ruedeleglise said:

Thanks for the ideas! I am trying to master the simple, then I am looking forwards to experimentation. All set to have another go at straight “Scottish” style cold smoked salmon. Lack of weight loss seems to be a problem after curing. Am leaving this side for a good 30 hours to “equalise”. Looks good and developing a good sticky surface.....forgotten the word! Peticle or something!

The weight loss is a combined result of the action of the salt i the initial cure and the air flow over the surfaces of the fish whilst it is being smoked. The salting stage will remove a lot of water however there is a balance between removing water at this stage and making the end result too salty. In the smoking stage it is better to hang the fish vertically so that the maximum surface area of the fish is exposed to the rising warm air/smoke flowing through the smoker. If you cannot hang the fish then place it on a wire rack, preferably skin side up (meat side down). If you can keep the inside of the smoker at ~20-25 C then that will also help the water loss from the fish. I use a pair of thermostatically controlled ceramic reptile tank heaters to maintain the temperature in my smoker however in a smaller smoker the heat from the smoke generator is often sufficient.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wade said:

I use a pair of thermostatically controlled ceramic reptile tank heaters to maintain the temperature in my smoker however in a smaller smoker the heat from the smoke generator is often sufficient.

That's an interesting idea to get it up to temperature, in the winter. I have seen those infra red bulbs with an e27 fitting and a goose clip (thought they could clip to the charcoal basket handles at the bottom of my proq) that they use on reptile tanks. They bulbs go up to 150w and meant to heat a reptile tank up to a toasty temperature. May need 2 for the size of the proq though?

I know it wouldn't have the control of your thermostat, but any sort of heat rise would be helpful. I haven't an outside electrical source so wiring up a thermostat, would be a bit impractical and the Proq is at least 100ft away from the house, so would be running an extension lead just for the lamps as well, so would be weather dependant.

Main problem I can think of is they are usually an all in one fitting with no detachable part so would need to unscrew the plug every time I wanted to set it up through the vent holes of the ProQ. Had a quick look and can't find a usb plug version, which would be ideal if the lamps could provide enough internal heat? 

Edited by sotv

And there I thought keeping the smoke container cool was the only important thing! Now with colder weather I may well need a ceramic thermostatically controlled heater. Next stop the pet shop! Nevertheless I am and everyone (so far) is delighted with my last effort. However being critical I found the side not dehydrated enough. Now I think I know the reason.

What about something like this for me and my needs with no outside electrical source (just extension lead) a cheap way of doing this ebay (Hong Kong Seller 100w bulb only) thermostat runs off a watch battery and an e27 light fitting with plug?

One with a UK seller ebay 4 times more expensive, but probably a better thermostat and 150w bulb once again light fitting needed.

58 minutes ago, sotv said:

That's an interesting idea to get it up to temperature, in the winter. I have seen those infra red bulbs with an e27 fitting and a goose clip (thought they could clip to the charcoal basket handles at the bottom of my proq) that they use on reptile tanks. They bulbs go up to 150w and meant to heat a reptile tank up to a toasty temperature. May need 2 for the size of the proq though?

Main problem I can think of is they are usually an all in one fitting with no detachable part so would need to unscrew the plug every time I wanted to set it up through the vent holes of the ProQ. Had a quick look and can't find a usb plug version, which would be ideal if the lamps could provide enough internal heat? 

This is what I use - they are quite cheap online - more expensive if you buy one at a local pet store. They come in different heat outputs from 50-150w. But yes, you would need power to it though.

image.jpeg.a9f25640ebe7c5bb29e6649a6c9f79d1.jpegimage.jpeg.70ab5dff7abbe298f6eff0f655d2e8a5.jpeg

You do not need to place it inside the ProQ - you can place it underneath - close to one of the open bottom air vents. Just wrap some card around the bottom to act as a wind break / heat funnel.

That sounds great and lot less effort than I was initially thinking. Would you use 1 or 2 of these with your Proq and what watt bulb? and can you get away without a digital thermostat as well, with this set up?.

Edited by sotv

48 minutes ago, Ruedeleglise said:

And there I thought keeping the smoke container cool was the only important thing! Now with colder weather I may well need a ceramic thermostatically controlled heater. Next stop the pet shop! Nevertheless I am and everyone (so far) is delighted with my last effort. However being critical I found the side not dehydrated enough. Now I think I know the reason.

For many things you do want to keep cool when smoking however for smoked foods where water loss is important then warmth/heat is beneficial. The EU regulations allow for the salmon to be smoked at up to 30 C for up to 20 hours however the US recommends limiting the temperature to 25 C. I smoke mine at between 20-24 C with a forced air flow (fan) through the smoker.