First bash tomorrow! Wish me luck

Sarah Duffy

Well I thought I was a seasoned BBQ’er till I bumped into you lot!

All set up for first smoking day tomorrow. Beef joint seasoned and resting over night, salmon out defrosting and souvlaki spice mix made and ready for some chicken breasts. Keeping it simple. It’s more to make sure I can regulate the temp really and if all goes well, I’ll chuck on some meat and hope for the best! 

We’re getting some high winds at the moment. Should be interesting. Planning to pop it in a corner and put a wind break up.

Wish me luck !

8739AEFC-B4E0-40AC-A930-F87CB91229E0.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

I sure you will smash it,  it the wind can play havoc. A windbreaker should work great.

Well, I’ve BBQ (oil drum smoker style) for years and managed in some hidious weather. I’m sure it’ll be fine. Problem now is that I planned to just have a play tomorrow... now we have 5 friends coming apparently. My grill is absolutely done for. I have a mini smoker, the Callow and a rusty drum ? ill

make it work somehow! (Argos.. what have you got?)

11 minutes ago, sotv said:

Good luck, the weather certainly seems to have been downcasted to showers and breezy tomorrow from Gales and driving rain forecast 24 hours earlier for my area.

It’s been rubbish here all week. Today has been the first dry day. Managed to get the tent up for a re proof. At least it’s up so if it’s hideous tomorrow I can pop the smoker in the porch 

9 minutes ago, Sarah Duffy said:

Well it’s in. Maintained temp pretty easily for half hour but the vents are pretty naff. 

Wondering if a bit of thin stove rope in the grooves may help. 

2127B827-1751-4CB2-B306-1FA1689A3BA8.jpeg

FC7A2036-6DC2-4ECA-B5AE-71720659B828.jpeg

What's happening with the temperature even a badly fitted vent should slow down the air intake enough to hold the temperature steady 

13 minutes ago, Sarah Duffy said:

Wondering if a bit of thin stove rope in the grooves may help. 

Yes, it may well sort out any gaps that you think are detrimental to the working of a unit.  Take a look here....  https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fire+tape+for+stoves&sprefix=fire+tape%2Caps%2C168&crid=13T77PKK7OAKZ

Ice.

10 minutes ago, Neil Craven said:

Most forget the water pan either fill it with play pit sand or with some clay plant sorcers to help regulate the heat.

But you'll always get some water as the meat cooks nothing to worry about 

Thanks. Thought I may have been over thinking! I filled about 3/4 but when I put the meat in, I topped up as had evaporated quite a bit

3 minutes ago, Icefever said:

Yes, it may well sort out any gaps that you think are detrimental to the working of a unit.  Take a look here....  https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fire+tape+for+stoves&sprefix=fire+tape%2Caps%2C168&crid=13T77PKK7OAKZ

Ice.

Thanks. I thought about doing it before hand. Should have really. Not causing a problem for now but will get some ordered I think. Give them a good clean up and apply!

9 minutes ago, Neil Craven said:

What's happening with the temperature even a badly fitted vent should slow down the air intake enough to hold the temperature steady 

Temp seems fine. Adjusting vents a little here and there but steady away. But of wind and I’ve not put up a wind break yet. Should be fine I think!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sarah Duffy said:

Too much water in pan? Dripping out from lid.

C131C854-191D-471C-8B7D-931AA0BBF175.jpeg

I don't own this one. but where have you got the waterpan situated inside. For it to leak out of the lid seems strange unless you have it up a higher level than normal. I would have thought it would have been above the coals in its correct position.  below the first first grill and if it was going to leak then it would have come out the door first not the lid. Have you got it directly below the top rack?

As I say don't own it, but just seems strange the water can bubble over to a height of what would be about 20-30cm I estimate from where I would expect the waterpan to be.Based on my experiences of my ProQ?

p.s. i would expect you have overfilled it for it to bubble over and leak wherever the pan is situated, i usually fill mine up to 3/4 full and top up it back up to 3/4 full with a coke bottle through the door when it goes below 1/2 full.

Edited by sotv

10 minutes ago, sotv said:

I don't own this one. but where have you got the waterpan situated inside. For it to leak out of the lid seems strange unless you have it up a higher level than normal. I would have thought it would have been above the coals in its correct position.  below the first first grill and if it was going to leak then it would have come out the door first not the lid. Have you got it directly below the top rack?

As I say don't own it, but just seems strange the water can bubble over to a height of what would be about 20-30cm I estimate from where I would expect the waterpan to be.Based on my experiences of my ProQ?

Water pan is correct position, above coals, below bottom grill. It’s settled now. Probably was the initial heat up. 

Baffled how water can come through the lid for that sort of height from its position. Even really hot boiling bubbling water wouldn't spit and rise that much, i would have thought maybe steam was causing condensation to form inside?.

I am intrigued. I mean if you fill or nearly fill  a kettle full it will come out the top when boiled, but half fill it and it wouldn't or shouldn't come over the top? Was it doing this when the temp had settled at 225F ? Glad it has settled down anyway.

2 minutes ago, sotv said:

Baffled how water can come through the lid for that sort of height from its position. Even really hot boiling bubbling water wouldn't spit and rise that much, i would have thought maybe steam was causing condensation to form inside?.

I am intrigued. I mean if you fill or nearly fill  a kettle full it will come out the top when boiled, but half fill it and it wouldn't or shouldn't come over the top? Was it doing this when the temp had settled at 225F ? Glad it has settled down anyway.

It’ll be steam / condensation I imagine. Cooking fine etc. Just chucked some sausages in