Almost there.. stuck between these two...

Sarah Duffy

17 minutes ago, Sarah Duffy said:

Will do! It’s more one for a ropa vieja so I usually marinate the meat, dear and then pop in slow cooker with the veg and tomatoes but I’m thinking it might work well just as a shredded beef in smoker and do the veg on the side 

With about 500g Beef (I get chunks of stewing steak from the farm or ox cheek works well.

Season meat both sides, I generally prick it a bit so flavours infuse

Garlic finely grated (I use 4 large cloves)

Tom purée (about 2tbsp)

Tsp ground cumin

Tsp oregano

1/2 tsp turmeric

Fresh coriander finely chopped. I chop a good handful so about 2-3 tbsp probably

Couple of bay leaves

1-2 tsp paprika 

White wine/white wine vingefar or what I use is a white wine stock pot.

Think it traditionally has all spice and cloves but I cannot stand clove flavours.

That’s most of the ingredients that give flavour. I need to play with it for the smoker. I usually use some to marinade and then throw the rest in the pot. 

6 minutes ago, Sarah Duffy said:

With about 500g Beef (I get chunks of stewing steak from the farm or ox cheek works well.

Season meat both sides, I generally prick it a bit so flavours infuse

Garlic finely grated (I use 4 large cloves)

Tom purée (about 2tbsp)

Tsp ground cumin

Tsp oregano

1/2 tsp turmeric

Fresh coriander finely chopped. I chop a good handful so about 2-3 tbsp probably

Couple of bay leaves

1-2 tsp paprika 

White wine/white wine vingefar or what I use is a white wine stock pot.

Think it traditionally has all spice and cloves but I cannot stand clove flavours.

That’s most of the ingredients that give flavour. I need to play with it for the smoker. I usually use some to marinade and then throw the rest in the pot. 

I am funny with oregano. Most stuff you buy dried tastes like grass to me, same with parsley. Can’t stand it! There’s a certain brand of ground herbs and spices I get online in bulk. Really good quality unless you can be bothered to toast and grind yourself (by far the best flavours) 

ive found one brand of oregano off the shelf that tastes good. I’ll check what it is tomorrow. I’m a snob with spices and herbs. If you don’t get decent ones then you don’t get the right flavour or balance at all and something ends up overpowering. 

I used to make my own garam masala till I found one online that is great and keeps well

5 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Have a go with just the fuel first and see how you manage to control the temperature.

Then get Cooking!!!

Yes, I was thinking that. Then again, I’ll probably be fine but when it comes to cooking it will piss down and blow a gale, just to throw me off. Today would be perfect but my joints are all frozen and nothing is marinated! May just grab a chicken to slap on or pull out some breasts so as not to waste fuel.

First I must work! 

Just now, Sarah Duffy said:

Yes, I was thinking that. Then again, I’ll probably be fine but when it comes to cooking it will piss down and blow a gale, just to throw me off. Today would be perfect but my joints are all frozen and nothing is marinated! May just grab a chicken to slap on or pull out some breasts so as not to waste fuel.

First I must work! 

I have no thermometer yet either. That’s due tomorrow so I’ll probably wait till then!

On 9/18/2018 at 10:46 PM, sotv said:

I have the ProQ Frontier Elite and has given me good service for 2 summers now whether Hot or cold smoking, it maintains temperature of 225F very well for me and has required no mods and little or no maintenance in that time. The grill plates clean up easily after each cook and the water pan is just starting to show signs of use after all this time. The coals basket at the bottom is still as sturdy and same shape as when bought. (My last brinkman before this buckled and warped after 1 summer)

You are looking at the 2018 model which has one improvement that would really help me with mine, in that they have added cool touch grips for the vents, many a time I have burnt my fingers forgetting how hot they can get when adjusting when it is hot. 

I wouldn't rely on the temperature reader on the lid, way out (as are most inbuilt ones) worth investing in a digital one with probes, I have a Maverick E732 but other ones like inkbird are available as well. much more accurate and if wifi/bluetooth enabled, you can keep the receiver in the house, save having to run out and keep checking the temperature is still 225F or whatever you want it at.

As I say I have the Frontier Elite and although the Ranger would be adequate for just us 2, if you want to cook for more than 4-6 people, you may find the Ranger is short on the space/volume you need and the Frontier can easily cook 3 or 4 x 3kg pork shoulders or 8 to 10 racks of ribs in rib holders.

I have cold smoked sides of salmon joints of bacon and up to 4 kg of cheese at once in mine

I invested in the cover as mine has been kept outside all the time in all weathers and has no rust whatsoever in the 2 years i have owned it..

Can't help with the Napoleon, but if you have any further questions about the ProQ please feel free to ask

Left over stove rope stuff. Two layers and absolutely fine after 5-6 hours. No burns yet!

B085D70C-2AFA-45BF-8CF0-6BF25EB47DD9.jpeg

• Like 1