Jump to content
Newby Andy

Cold smoked salmon

Recommended Posts

Had a busy day today so used my cold smoking snake for the first time, before going out for the day I put two salmon fillets in the smoker and lit the smoking snake, came back eight hours later and it was ready. What an easy way to put lots of flavour into some fish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andy. Do you havd a pboto of your cold smoking snake and the salmon :5980a344e6cd3_ThumbsUp:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Justin said:

Just found this video. wow

Certainly a fun video. I love going to Billingsgate Market - the fish there is wonderful. If you go though, take a lot of cash as most of the traders there will only accept cash if you don't have an account with them.

The soldering iron smoke generator is a good idea. I will give that a try.

A couple of general comments on the curing method. 

  • This will produce a fairly salty smoked salmon as the flesh of the fish is in constant contact with a large amount of salt and there is nowhere for the resulting brine to drain away to.
  • The tip on the type of salt to use is perfect. There is no point in using any fancy salts for the cure as it is a waste of money. The best type of salt is cheap old fine grain cooking salt.
  • I do have a problem with the length of time he is recommending resting after smoking (8-10 days), as generally the safe shelf life of smoked salmon can be as short as 10 days. This would be especially true with this method of smoking as the water content in the smoked fish is going to be quite high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tesco selling Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon fillets at the fish counter up to a kg in weight (side) with 25% off till 20/11 at 18.75 kg still twice as expensive as farmed salmon. But a really tasty bit of salmon and very different from the farmed salmon you get from most supermarkets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sotv said:

Tesco selling Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon fillets at the fish counter up to a kg in weight (side) with 25% off till 20/11 at 18.75 kg still twice as expensive as farmed salmon. But a really tasty bit of salmon and very different from the farmed salmon you get from most supermarkets.

If you are going to hot smoke them you can use them fresh straight from the counter however, as they are wild salmon, if you are going to cold smoke them you would first need to freeze them in order to kill any potential parasites.

http://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/299-why-do-we-sometimes-need-to-freeze-fish-before-smoking/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

27 minutes ago, Wade said:

If you are going to hot smoke them you can use them fresh straight from the counter however, as they are wild salmon, if you are going to cold smoke them you would first need to freeze them in order to kill any potential parasites.

http://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/299-why-do-we-sometimes-need-to-freeze-fish-before-smoking/

Tesco Sockeye Salmon says previously frozen, but suitable for re-freezing also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks as if they have done the freeze for you. With farmed salmon the freezing is not required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you do freeze first it will help to break down the cell structure a bit as the freeze will rupture them so the cure is quicker and more effective

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to remember the guy behind the fish counter at our local Tesco’s said all their salmon comes in frozen. I have only tried cold smoking Sockeye once and neither of us thought the texture or taste was as good as the farmed. Possibly just personal taste or a bad bit of sockeye?.....or a bad bit of smoking by me!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ruedeleglise said:

I have only tried cold smoking Sockeye once and neither of us thought the texture or taste was as good as the farmed. Possibly just personal taste or a bad bit of sockeye?.....or a bad bit of smoking by me!

You have hit the nail on the head... Commercial smoked salmon in the UK is produced using farmed salmon almost exclusively precisely because it is consistent. When I was at Formans in London I asked about the use of wild salmon and they told me that they will only use it at an individual customers request as the lifestyle of wild salmon make its quality and flavour unpredictable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Justin said:

if you do freeze first it will help to break down the cell structure a bit as the freeze will rupture them so the cure is quicker and more effective

Freezing and thawing for the first time will certainly help it lose the first 3% of water but I have not seen any evidence that it makes the ultimate cure appreciably quicker or more effective. Have you seen this tested?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it is theory,  but in the video I posted on this thread? I take you point too on the amount of tie he leaves it to rest, but he does use a lot of salt so I guess he has cured it more. Smoke salmon can be frozen too, then defrost inf the fridge. I have done that many times before.  I have a side of salmon in the freezer at the mo, I delayed the cure because I am hols next week, will do it when I get back from Venice. Love smoked salmon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×