Andrew James 8.5ltr Sous Vide Bath

Brinkman

I use something very similar to that and it works fine. The only thing I do to it is to sit it on an oven cloth and wrap it with another couple of oven clothes to give it a nice bit of insulation which helps the temp come up a bit quicker and helps it stay nice and stable without the wand (I have the cheap Aldi one) having to do very much once the water is up to temp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justin said:

You did the right thing. Tell her wand will much less space to store when not being used?

Well I'm going to find out within the next couple of days one way or another. Just as soon as it arrives it will get attached to my stock pot and the dreaded poached egg test will be initiated, it seems to break every unit I use it on to test, if it succeeds then peace and serenity will return to the household and if it fails? Well I'll hunt down Harry Potter and all of his cronies and kill them with my own hot wand....? 

43 minutes ago, Icefever said:

a stiff one

Yes I am, how the devil did you know? I think it has a lot to do with all the painting I've been doing in the kitchen! I'm about to walk the hound, but when I return I shall treat myself to a large Bombay Sapphire, sit back and relax for a while knowing the good lady is pleased with the kitchen and not unpleased with the thought of my hot wand being plunged into a stock pot...  

1 hour ago, Icefever said:

The mind is boggled here..working overtime.. we've just got back from a steakhouse and sat here with a glass of vino. Life is good....for now...but wait till Fri morn about 0800 hrs.

You know what I think the issue/problem with the AJ was? It wasn't powerful enough! 500w to heat and maintain as much as 4.5 litres of water at 85c was just too much for the heating element and it just kept tripping out! It worked fine at lower temps but as soon as you tried to do root veg etcetera it just wasn't man enough for the job. There, problem solved, move on, happy days...  

Up to you. I went cheapy shop where there had loads of sizes of plastic containers and picked one that looked small and is 24cm by 30cm by 42cm is Volume 30240cm3  is 30 litres I can put a rack in there to hold multiple bags and the Wancle circulates water round it easily . It  turns out to be good for me. The stock pot is 4 litres and I use that for a bag or two at most. it heats up quickly

7 minutes ago, Justin said:

Up to you. I went cheapy shop where there had loads of sizes of plastic containers and picked one that looked small and is 24cm by 30cm by 42cm is Volume 30240cm3  is 30 litres I can put a rack in there to hold multiple bags and the Wancle circulates water round it easily . It  turns out to be good for me. The stock pot is 4 litres and I use that for a bag or two at most. it heats up quickly

Length width height ? 

• 1 year later...

Searched the Internet, such a good price for this product. I've used Kitchen Gizmo sous vide machine https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Gizmo-Sous-Immersion-Circulator/dp/B01N90WI94 with this container https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MDM8WO/ref=twister_B07N7Z73H2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 after purchasing a sous vide bath. If compare these two devices, a sous vide bath is better for me, I'm satisfied with this purchase (I'm now cooking with Dash DSV300XXSS01 bath).

I use a Wancle double circulation precision wand, https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=wancle+sous+vide&i=kitchen&crid=DNDSMUWJ02BH&sprefix=wnacle%2Ckitchen%2C151&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_2_6 which clips on almost any thing so you do not need to worry about containers with the right sized hole in etc. hence stock pot for a couple chicken breast eggs etc and a polycarbonate box of any size for larger joints etc.....I always fill with hot water from the kitchen tap which is about 38 to 40 degrees in the winter, and that helps to get up to temp quicker with less work on the Wancle.  Let the boiler do the some of the work. So simple to do, It does not matter what you use as a container .  Do not need a lid, i use the poly balls on top to act as insulation layer and stop evaporation at higher temps for things like carrots and veg or custards and brulees, rice pudding etc.

One thing to note is when using glass  container in the bath, ensure they heat up with the water first as it heats up from cooler temp gradually before filling to prevent them shattering.

Edited by Justin