Sous Vide Salmon

Brinkman

Thats easy for you to say! I could be taking an early bath on this one or even worse, sleeping with the fishes.? Asian salmon bagged and marinaded for two days in the holy grail of ginger, kaffir lime leaves and chilli with a soupcon of garlic and my version of teriyaki marinade. 

Asian Salmon.jpg

• Like 1

OK So the Asian Salmon has been consumed. Was it tasty? By the Lord Harry it was, without doubt, the best piece of salmon I've eaten outside of some very high priced restaurants! It was cooked at 46c for 35mins and looked beautiful when I opened the pouches. It tasted wonderful, buttery in the mouth and with a real salmon smell, if you know what I mean? In appearance it was deep pink and just the other side of opaque, which was fine for us. If I have a complaint and I only really have the one, then it would have to be that it was just not hot enough! I do appreciate that if you cook at 46c/112f then it ain't never gonna scald your mouth but this was barely warm! It went into the microwave at 60% for 1 minute to put some heat into it which in no way affected the look, taste or smell of the fish but should you really need to do that?  

Edited by Brinkman
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Wade said:

You could try searing it for a few seconds on a high heat to raise the temperature a little. The microwave (depending on the type you have) is likely to change the whole of the internal texture.

Hi Wade. Was intending to do that but the salmon was already beginning to break up when it came out of the bag! May have worked if the cut had been a lot thicker? Now it could have been due to my having removed the skin on this half of it, I've left the skin on the other half so will try again at a later date, but I don't think it would have held together in a hot skillet! I have to say the fish was the best tasting I've had for many a day but tepid food is not my bag! 46c & 30 mins was absolutely perfect for both appearance and taste and maybe its a visual thing, but I like to see a certain amount of steam rising from food when plating up!! Need to look into what the tricks of the trade are and maybe learn the appropriate trick? I was talking to an American chef the other day about cooking brisket in a Sous Vide and he said he uses the hot smoke method for an hour or more to give the flavour and colour then vac's it and baths it for however long is needed! I'm not so sure about that! Anyway he swears by the method and has not lost any customers! Well none he knows of anyway? Thoughts! 

Edited by Brinkman

5 minutes ago, Raptor72 said:

Yeah Or get your oven on high . And stick it in for a minute at top temp . Or under the grill ? 

Personally im also going to be using my Bbq starter plumbing torch to sear stuff . 

Exactemundo, my thoughts entirely for steak, chops and the like but fish can go over so so easily! Would have been fine if I'd left the skin on but alas...I love my big blowtorch, never used it for plumbing but for searing! brilliant..