Made it .....

Icefever

6 hours ago, Justin said:

10 hours too per the pro q video.  

How long ??? Did they have the smoker actually alight in that video. 10 hours is way too long - as you found out. 3 hours suits most peoples tastes - stretching to 4 if you like a heavy smoke.

5 hours ago, sotv said:

I have tried Hickory, I find it a bit bitter for my tastes on its own, but have added it as a 1:4 ratio with Apple or Silver Birch in the past. As with anything, I found it to be a bit of trial and error, with the different woods but I have 3 definites now that  I am confident in the finished flavour it will give for me and others I smoke cheese for. I intend to experiment with a few other wood dusts like Orange and maybe Walnut or Alder dust later this winter.

Yes, Hickory is quite a strong wood and you need a good flow of smoke through the smoker when you use it. 

OK...initial findings,  we took a block of 1.5 hrs, 3hrs & a 5hrs one along to the caravan for a tasting session.

The 1.5 hr was borderline on smoke although it was good, the 3hrs one was better, the 5hrs one was maybe too long for my taste, thou Rosie did like it.

Now, this cheese is only a week old, it's been wrapped in cling-film sat in the fridge. We only had a slither off each block just for a taste comparison. These 3 blocks will be returned home on Monday and along with the rest will be vac-packed for as long as we can leave them be.  ?

Ice.

13 hours ago, Justin said:

It was the wood that came with the pro q cardboard smoker.  It was not labelled so who knows what  it is.  Apple wood next time.  It is a journey no problem. the cheese smelt like a bonfire when it came out. I was hoping for something mire like Wades cheese that he gave me at Wooodsmoke18.  Next time. Still to  hot here in Essex

I think you'll find that the dust that came with the ProQ is in fact Apple. When I bought mine it said quote " Apple Smoking Wood Dust - DELIVERY INCLUDED "

Ice.

15 hours ago, Justin said:

10 hours too per the pro q video.  

Had a look on the ProQ site and can't see anywhere on the official Australian or British (MacsBBQ) sites where they recommend 10 hours to cold smoke cheese. The only reference they make to 10 hours I can see, is where they reference the total burn time of the generator to be 10 hours?

This is their recommendation for smoking cheese on the UK site https://www.macsbbq.com/recipes/cold-smoked-cheese

A more general guide to cold smoking and safety tips here https://www.proqsmokers.com/guides/cold-smoking

I have learnt something also, ProQ do 2 types of cold smoke generators the standard one and Artisan one. I didn't know about the artisan one, but it is meant to be more suited to my ProQ elite 2 stack and above type smokers that have a bigger capacity of 150 Litres or more. https://proqsmokers.com.au/?page_id=17555

The ordinary ProQ cold smoke generator is more suited to the Kettle BBqs and the Eco smoker box etc (elsewhere it says do not use the Artisan with the Eco smoker box, it is dangerous to do so)

21 minutes ago, sotv said:

I have learnt something also, ProQ do 2 types of cold smoke generators the standard one and Artisan one. I didn't know about the artisan one, but it is meant to be more suited to my ProQ elite 2 stack and above type smokers that have a bigger capacity of 150 Litres or more. https://proqsmokers.com.au/?page_id=17555

I came across the Artisan just this morning.....so I'm now wondering if it will suit the Brinkman better ??

8 minutes ago, Icefever said:

I came across the Artisan just this morning.....so I'm now wondering if it will suit the Brinkman better ??

Personally had the original for 2 years and been happy with it, with my Proq as I know what it can do now. If I was in the market for a new one or first time buyer, then I would get the Artisan. Personally wouldn't change my original one for the Artisan for the sake of it though, as it does a good enough job, for me.

Don't think it would make much difference when it comes to smoking cheese. But certainly I can see a benefit for Bacon and Salmon smoking with the longer burn (16 hours) and I assume maybe a denser smoke production?

6 hours ago, Justin said:

says 4 hours cheapest cheese you can find

Just because they say that doesn't mean their right...I'll stick with "you put crap in, you get crap out".  Remember the old adage " You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".

Ice.

I have found with cheddar if you get a decent Mature that has a bit of a salty bite to it works best with smoke. But that may be down to my personal taste? 

Also I get my cheddar from a deli counter as it is seems drier when you take it out of the shrink wrapping, if you buy it in a block. The cheese like Cathedral City and Davidstow packed on the shelves can be very wet when it comes out of the packaging, I find and not such a nice finished flavour because of it..

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, sotv said:

Also I get my cheddar from a deli counter as it is seems drier when you take it out of the shrink wrapping, if you buy it in a block. The cheese like Cathedral City and Davidstow packed on the shelves can be very wet when it comes out of the packaging, I find and not such a nice finished flavour because of it..

With the supermarket cheeses, if you cut the larger slabs into 200-300 gram portions before smoking and then leave them uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours afterwards they will lose a lot of this moisture. The surfaces can look a little dry after this and will sometimes they will crack - but just vac pack them and after a couple of weeks the remaining moisture will equilibrate within the cheese and they will look as good as new.

• 1 month later...

Just put on cold smoker, 1 kg cheese, orange wood dust.

3 hours then take out and leave for 2 hours before vac packing

Cardboard Pro Q is wisping smoke again. Lovely bit of kit, so long as it does not rain!  Dry and chilly this morning. out of the sunm, in the shade

Edited by Justin
typos

51 minutes ago, Justin said:

Using mature cheese. Waitrose essentials. 

Some nice cheddars in the their essential range along with the Gouda which is lovely when smoked I think, it works really well in a Cheese & Ham toastie or if able to grate it without it breaking up  for Grilled Cheese and Tomato on toast.

1 hour ago, sotv said:

Some nice cheddars in the their essential range along with the Gouda which is lovely when smoked I think, it works really well in a Cheese & Ham toastie or if able to grate it without it breaking up  for Grilled Cheese and Tomato on toast.

Nice idea and I will try that next time.  How long do you leave the cheese?  I am working on Wades idea do leave for 2 hours before vacpaccing and then 4 weeks minimum in fridge vacced.

It has 15 mins left in smoker for a 3 hour smoke, not wanting it too smoky

1 hour ago, Raptor72 said:

My uds mate uses that on his kettle 

Pre mixed cure, ummm, no, best to mix it yourself and then you know what is going into it....some of the premixes are too salty...

Who on earth puts so much music on their demo vide... sounds rubbish

Edited by Justin