Dry Age Bags...

sotv

Sympathise, did a lovely Lamb Kleftico in the Dutch Oven the weekend, but had to leave the Rosemary out as my wife, can't stand it. I love it and missed its flavour, but best to accommodate everyone, rather than alienate them....😀 I have way more finicky taste-buds than her and she never complains.

@Wade is your man but he is Iceland travelling still i think so: 

Did you cure it first. if you are at 1st  cure stage (i.e. cure #2, salt, aromatics etc) then 3 weeks in fridge should do it, . I have a boned rolled shoulder pork doing same in fridge since last evening and it will be there for 3 weeks before hanging out of the fridge for 3 months or so. 

I also have a loin  which has been hanging from the curtain pole at my back door for month now, I reckon at least another  two months, Target is 35% to 40% weight loss  in all. 

When you get past first stage and are hanging put muslin around the dry age bag too then hang out of the fridge and you will probably find it matures quicker than in the fridge as demonstrated earlier in the is thread by Wade.  14 to 20 degs is cool, hence is is by the back door window and out of the sun.

read back on this thread and there is loads of advice here

What is the blue light thing in the picture?

Welcome to the forum

thanks For the response, apologies I did not mean to confuse, this is just a standard ribeye that had a very short wet maturation period in its original packaging. It is my first attempt at dry ageing so any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

My wife does not like the smell of ageing beef so the item with the blue light is a small ozone generator to combat the odour.

Nice article here on dry aging steaks/beef and some recommended times for it. Something I have looked into, but until I can get a dedicated fridge for it, I have had to put it on hold.

Talking to my butcher in the past about it. He has told me as confirmed by the article, humidity and a constant temperature are the key to  successfully Dry Aging a piece of beef

@David it doesn't really cover much about the bag method, but if you PM @MarcWillm on here, he has been helpful here in the past, and as his business is these sort of bags, he may well be of some help on here to you, with your particular method and any questions you have.

On 1/16/2019 at 10:03 PM, Justin said:

You will have to cure it first. Otherwise water in the beef will cause it to go off?  @Wade @sotv

The dry ageing process for steaks is different to the dry curing process used in things like Bresaola and salamis. It is a process where the meat is allowed to begin to break itself down (autolyse) in a controlled way in order to provide a greater depth of flavour. Yes eventually, if taken too far, the meat will get to a point where it will be described as having "gone off".

Which means target hit 23rd Jan just over 1 month it has been hanging

@Wade, what do you think, leave to mature further or have a taste and see what is what, I did think it would take longer but given it was 1kg basted  maybe it is plain quicker because of that whereas a leg of pig would take months if not years?.

• Like 1

Hereis the 2nd

On 1/15/2019 at 9:27 PM, Justin said:

Have put cure on. Notice no sugar in recipe.  

Fridge looking decent smoke salmon to be sliced tomorrow. Pork curing.  Pot of coffee beans in background. 3 of my favourite things.

20190115_212156.thumb.jpg.d673552ac1bab61698a166555af9b13f.jpg

20190115_212209.thumb.jpg.a98832e8f025b35f08920c6ff9f2d789.jpg

13 days in fridge. So far so good

20190123_144241.thumb.jpg.27ed9860a4c1b4c76f53c18bd97e9feb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

@Justin I know I am reviving an old post (which looks to be most of them these days unfortunately) - but the end result you have there looks absolutely fantastic, particularly good considering it started off as a cheap joint!  Inspirational.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Currently testing dry age bags for charcuterie. The short story is they dont work for charcuterie, Ive had breasola, a ham and duck in my dry age bags 8 weeks now after dry curing . Non of the meats have lost their 30% moisture. Think I'll stick to my hot and cold smoking (Paul @ Buxton Smokehouse ltd.

Edited by Pabs69