Dry Age Bags...

sotv

I was of the understanding Wade is doing this as a guide for forum users now and in the future. I am following his instructions and making it, alongside him, as this form of curing is new to me and I am keen to learn and finding it very useful. Wade seems happy to answer any question from myself or others and If you don't ask the questions, you don't know the answer to,  you make mistakes and end up doing things like smoking cheese for 10 hours and throwing it in the bin. ?

37 minutes ago, Justin said:

I believe learning from mistakes is the best way of learning.

Just found a bit of mature smoked cheese at back of fridge that I  not see when I ditched the rest  and  it actually taste nice.  Should have left the cheese for 3 week not 2 I think, even 4 weeks.  Touch!

On 8/30/2018 at 9:41 AM, Wade said:

Next stages for the Pancetta...

Cure bags removed from fridge

477317863_Bellycuring.thumb.jpg.9a5c5da3149c32bb22d85b8ad79b4034.jpg

Cured belly removed from bags and well rinsed

604584158_Bellystillwithcure.thumb.jpg.ef95669506e273e6a702260e82674c0e.jpg137900547_bellyafterrinsing2.thumb.jpg.fac7e609313b0edb31126f4d713ca8c8.jpg

Belly rolled and tied. One piece ready for the smoker.

1487275378_Pancettareadyforwrappingandsmoking2.thumb.jpg.24bb74ba0c944c2ba484d09bbeaf6f8c.jpg

One rolled belly in muslin and the other vac packed in an Air Dry bag

351234014_Pancettawrapped.thumb.jpg.955f7b23a871d4e8b2117ca001015728.jpg

One left to air dry in kitchen and the other in the fridge.

433346551_Pancettainmuslinhanging2.thumb.jpg.a23e719baf4dcadb9a76c57242123d75.jpg263556949_Pancettahanginginfridge.thumb.jpg.69852a7f7a0852329a473a70909b803f.jpg

I am hanging the Air Dry bag in the fridge to save space. If I see that the bag begins to pull away from the meat I will lay it on its side.

Just finished cold smoking mine through the night. for a little over 10 hours and vac packed in the dry age bag. Not able to hang mine in the fridge. So laid it flat in a sealed food container in the fridge. ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sotv said:

Not able to hang mine in the fridge. So laid it flat in a sealed food container in the fridge. ?

Don't leave it in a sealed food container as you are wanting it to lose moisture over the coming weeks/months. Just place it straight on the rack in the fridge away from any direct cooling air blasts. You want as much air flow around all surfaces of the dry age bag as you can get.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Wade said:

Don't leave it in a sealed food container as you are wanting it to lose moisture over the coming weeks/months. Just place it straight on the rack in the fridge away from any direct cooling air blasts. You want as much air flow around all surfaces of the dry age bag as you can get.

Ok thanks for the info wade. Off the top of my head it is going to be difficult as it is a household working fridge, only one in house. at the moment, so cant risk contamination of other foods. Will have to give it some thought. Thought I had sealed the dry age bag properly but it has inflated like a balloon 3 hours later. So clearly did it wrong. Realise it is my problem and not the bags or sealing machine and I am struggling to get the sealing strip part lined up correctly. When I get back from the footy, will  try again, with a fresh outlook as just ruined another bag trying to get it right and just the one left now. ?

On 8/31/2018 at 9:44 AM, sotv said:

I was of the understanding Wade is doing this as a guide for forum users now and in the future. 

Yes. It can be daunting trying to do something new like this so I am happy to share step-by-step guides with pictures on here. Helping others to move forward with confidence was one of the main reasons Steve and I set up the forum.

On 8/31/2018 at 10:01 AM, Justin said:

I believe learning from mistakes is the best way of learning.

I am not sure that I totally agree with this statement. Yes, you should learn from mistakes you make but you should first try to glean enough knowledge before you begin so that as many mistakes as possible are avoided. When dealing with anything that includes food safety - especially things like Botulinum - you may not actually still be around to learn from the mistake !!!

I left the Bresaola to cure for a few days longer than I expected - but that will not make any difference

Rinsed and patted dry (only 2 shown here)

579568645_Bresaolarinsed.thumb.jpg.6c8032793aaf2916ee8c6a8551524d9c.jpg

The piece to be muslin wrapped is tied to keep it compact

353545815_bresaolatied.thumb.jpg.e19bd31b5ac5fdc41b1c4b467f6a94fd.jpg

One piece sealed in Dry Age bag and the other wrapped in muslin and tied

752194354_Bresaolawrapped.thumb.jpg.26595ad0142e4a6e67a8765e4e17577d.jpg

Bresaola hanging next to Pancetta

1071965133_bresaolaandpancettahanging.thumb.jpg.f172ec47543764cd0d0264c147ebe280.jpg

The other two pieces are to be smoked. One was hung directly in the smoker and the other was sealed in the Dry Age bag before hanging - to test whether the smoke penetrates the bag sufficiently.

1031598884_Bresaolasmoking.thumb.jpg.fea9b460fdb5fd5d9cdeaae1dfa408e4.jpg

I will check them periodically to see how much weight they are losing, however I am not anticipating them being ready until December

• Like 2

It really is a spare storage room, I already have taken over half the space up in there for my DIY vaping liquids and with all the cupboards and my hot/cold smoking extras, along with the vacuum etc. My wife would flip her lid if I stuck a larder fridge in their as well. If I take my printer of the drawers in there  she would accept a tabletop fridge. ?

Edited my original post and moved the question to its own subject within the forum, as more people may see it?

Pancetta and Beef All cold smoked now and vacuum packed in the wrong type of bags (textured) but hopefully will still provide an edible form of food even if not done in the correct bags?

@MarcWillm Thank you so much for the samples you sent. Unfortunately due to user error, I just couldn't seem to get any of the bags to vacuum seal with my Luvele machine. I will keep an eye out for Youtube videoes or maybe catch Wade or yourself at a function one day and get either of you to show me where I am clearly going wrong ?‍?. Followed your PDF instruction for how to do it, but I still couldn't get it right. Frustrating thing is, I have no problem with textured bags.

It has been an enjoyable experience doing these and something I want to carry on doing, so hopefully I can get it right at a later date. 

Anyway I will see if they still turn out edible in the coming weeks and thanks to @Wade for the guide to making these from scratch. ?

19 minutes ago, sotv said:

Pancetta and Beef All cold smoked now and vacuum packed in the wrong type of bags (textured) but hopefully will still provide an edible form of food even if not done in the correct bags?

@MarcWillm Thank you so much for the samples you sent. Unfortunately due to user error, I just couldn't seem to get any of the bags to vacuum seal with my Luvele machine. I will keep an eye out for Youtube videoes or maybe catch Wade or yourself at a function one day and get either of you to show me where I am clearly going wrong ?‍?. Followed your PDF instruction for how to do it, but I still couldn't get it right. Frustrating thing is, I have no problem with textured bags.

It has been an enjoyable experience doing these and something I want to carry on doing, so hopefully I can get it right at a later date. 

Anyway I will see if they still turn out edible in the coming weeks and thanks to @Wade for the guide to making these from scratch. ?

Just a suggestion if you do not have a problem with the texture bags.

Cut a piece of the textured bag 25mm x 50mm, use the textured bit, place in side the pouch, centrally and level with the top of the pouch.

E69C925E-19FC-44DB-AB02-1E3B0D0ECC20.thumb.jpeg.3ff7118144bfd9ace42094b8474b5bd5.jpeg

Then vac as normal, this should give you the Air way to pull the vacuum, and the heat seal will seal this as well.

• Like 2

You cannot use normal textured bags for the dry ageing as they are not moisture and air permeable. In the textured bag the meat will not lose moisture and dry out. If you are having difficulty with the dry age bag sealing then you would need to revert to the muslin wrapping. 

Is it just a case of the air not being sucked from the bag? Are you using the strips that are designed for use with the side suck vacuum sealers?

Here is a video that may help. It shows how to use a side seal vacuum packer with standard non textured bag - using a plastic straw to help the bag seal properly. The part that shows this is at  about 1:30

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Cut a piece of the textured bag 25mm x 50mm, use the textured bit, place in side the pouch, centrally and level with the top of the pouch.

Then vac as normal, this should give you the Air way to pull the vacuum, and the heat seal will seal this as well.

The textured bag that Steve is referring to performs the same role as the straw. 

• Like 1

I did the same as the video with a straw, textured bag strip and the vacuum aid strips Marc provided. The only thing I didn't do was sit at the machine like the lady in the video?

It has been frustrating, the only thing I can see is different she doesn't poke the edge of the bag down in the well, which I do but leaves it level, but that is what works on the textured bags for me and is a habit I have developed. That is the only thing I can see I have done differently. But I am sure the bag would rise up level anyway on its own  before it tried to seal. Otherwise I am absolutely bamboozled to why it wouldn't work for me, as that is all the ways I tried plus the supplied velco like strips Marc sent?

Edited by sotv
  • Sad 1