sotv

Dry Age Bags...

Sympathise, did a lovely Lamb Kleftico in the Dutch Oven the weekend, but had to leave the Rosemary out as my wife, can't stand it. I love it and missed its flavour, but best to accommodate everyone, rather than alienate them....ūüėĬ†I have way more finicky taste-buds than her and she never complains.

Have put cure on. Notice no sugar in recipe.  

Fridge looking decent smoke salmon to be sliced tomorrow. Pork curing.  Pot of coffee beans in background. 3 of my favourite things.

20190115_212156.thumb.jpg.d673552ac1bab61698a166555af9b13f.jpg

20190115_212209.thumb.jpg.a98832e8f025b35f08920c6ff9f2d789.jpg

• Like 1

Hi there, I’m new to the forum but I have had a ribeye In a dry maturation bag for a few days now and I am looking to give it 30 days. Any advise with regards to maturation periods?

C2D6DACB-65BE-44D4-9267-3887BBA1F348.jpeg

@Wade is your man but he is Iceland travelling still i think so: 

Did you cure it first. if you are at 1st  cure stage (i.e. cure #2, salt, aromatics etc) then 3 weeks in fridge should do it, . I have a boned rolled shoulder pork doing same in fridge since last evening and it will be there for 3 weeks before hanging out of the fridge for 3 months or so. 

I also have a loin  which has been hanging from the curtain pole at my back door for month now, I reckon at least another  two months, Target is 35% to 40% weight loss  in all. 

When you get past first stage and are hanging put muslin around the dry age bag too then hang out of the fridge and you will probably find it matures quicker than in the fridge as demonstrated earlier in the is thread by Wade.  14 to 20 degs is cool, hence is is by the back door window and out of the sun.

read back on this thread and there is loads of advice here

What is the blue light thing in the picture?

Welcome to the forum

thanks For the response, apologies I did not mean to confuse, this is just a standard ribeye that had a very short wet maturation period in its original packaging. It is my first attempt at dry ageing so any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

My wife does not like the smell of ageing beef so the item with the blue light is a small ozone generator to combat the odour.

ok wet maturation (ie first cure with cure#2 and salt  etc) needs 3  weeks it think before the dry hanging stage which I think you need to get to 35% weight loss and that will take 3 to 6 months?  @Wade

Sorry no, I meant from point of kill and then in its original packaging. It’s just a plain ribeye with no cure. Just wondering if anyone had any tips on length of maturation?

Nice article here on dry aging steaks/beef and some recommended times for it. Something I have looked into, but until I can get a dedicated fridge for it, I have had to put it on hold.

Talking to my butcher in the past about it. He has told me as confirmed by the article, humidity and a constant temperature are the key to  successfully Dry Aging a piece of beef

@David it doesn't really cover much about the bag method, but if you PM @MarcWillm on here, he has been helpful here in the past, and as his business is these sort of bags, he may well be of some help on here to you, with your particular method and any questions you have.

On 1/16/2019 at 10:03 PM, Justin said:

You will have to cure it first. Otherwise water in the beef will cause it to go off?  @Wade @sotv

The dry ageing process for steaks is different to the dry curing process used in things like Bresaola and salamis. It is a process where the meat is allowed to begin to break itself down (autolyse) in a controlled way in order to provide a greater depth of flavour. Yes eventually, if taken too far, the meat will get to a point where it will be described as having "gone off".

Thanks for the feedback and contact information guys. I will initially give 30 days and go from there I think.