UK BBQ Smoking Pellets Price Comparison - Updated 14/06/20

Tabs

I did look at your Liverpool Pellets Link and they are certainly more cost effective, but the minimum order is £210's worth, which is a bit of a gamble if they aren't suited to the Weber Smokefire. Although Weber say the Smokefire is designed to use competitors pellets, people are reporting that brands like the Traeger ones are longer than the Weber ones for instance and can get stuck and cause jams and other brands have a lot of sawdust in them. I have seen this in some videos and it is shocking the difference in quality between some brands.

I am happy to stick the Weber if necessary, but would like to try a comparison with another brand, just to see if the Weber are any good, or if there are better out there. More concerned about flavour in the long run than price, but don't want to buy a pallet full of a competitors first, to find out they're no good or not suited iyswim.

I might try some Lumber Jack Beech they're at a reasonable price over here at American BBQ and people have had some success with that brand with the Smokefire in the States as well

They're only shipping in bulk, that's likely a pallets worth for £210. If you're local'ish then you can collet for much cheaper. 

The auger in the Yoder isn't fussy and as I tend to use storage containers for my pellets I can avoid loading it up with sawdust. It's never been a problem, both with BBQ'ERS delight (got the bags with the Yoder), cookshack and some other brand from Amazon.

You'd expect a company like Weber to push you down their own route for pellets but it's about finding a product you're happy with ultimately.

Guess what I'm saying is don't follow the manual too closely!

• Like 1

I have used the lil devil pellets for years mild taste made of alder I believe, I can't tell much of a difference, if I want a different wood I empty hopper and putt about 2 hours worth of a premium pellet maybe mesquite for brisket then top up with devils.  Any temp over 300F I would say it's not worth using anything else

Edited by Mick
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd resurrect this. I'm running low on Lil' Devils and the supplier in Liverpool maybe closed for a while. I've got a small stockpile of Pellets to keep me going but at some point I'll need to top up. Time to sit down and do a comparison then!

Did a quick trawl of the top suppliers from Google and worked out the cost per kg (not included delivery):

pellets.thumb.JPG.7e8503a3a82980b2dc092494f1775295.JPG

Having only used a few from the list I can't comment on the others. Some of you are trying the other brands with the new Weber pellet grills but results seem to be patchy from what I'm reading. Seeing as Weber have entered the Pellet Smoking arena I had hoped variety and choice would increase - along with more competitive pricing. Covid19 aside, that doesn't appear to have been the case though I'm hopeful as things return to normal we'll get more of a selection.

I'm probably going to order the Cookinpellets 3 x 3 deal but ask for a mix of flavours.

Anyway hope it's of use and feel free to point me at more suppliers and I'll update the table!

2 minutes ago, YankeeDoodleSmoker said:

I never got a reply to my email either, but I got them to answer the phone, so I'll just check again mid June and if they have them in stock, I'll load up the boot of my car.

Same here, they do like to do a deal if collecting 😎

Edited by Tabs

Thanks for posting, as a first time pellet grill owner, I have been a bit shocked at the high consumption rate of pellets (certainly on the Weber)

I think the Cookinpellets £99 for 162kg should be 54kg?

The only one I have seen you haven't listed is Pini at Amazon only in Oak though

The Weber is really restricted for other brand pellets (although Weber say it should work with any pellet, Hmmm) From the Weber brand ones I have tried very impressed with the flavour from the Hickory so far of the 3 I have tried available (2 extra flavours available of pellet in the US compared to UK)

Lumberjack are meant to work well with them, but as your list says the only ones are the Beech at the moment. Hopefully a retailer will import some over here soon as they are meant to be really good and very popular with a lot of different grills in the States. 

For the next couple of weeks if you have Paypal Credit, they're offering 12 months interest free on purchases over £99 from Ebay may be of interest if purchasing Cookinpellets from that site.

Edited by sotv

9 hours ago, sotv said:

Thanks for posting, as a first time pellet grill owner, I have been a bit shocked at the high consumption rate of pellets (certainly on the Weber)

I think the Cookinpellets £99 for 162kg should be 54kg?

Yes you're right, it's a bit confusing and the picture shows 3 bags.

https://www.cookinpelletsuk.com/product_info.php?products_id=242

They quote £33 each for 3 X 18kg. But then state it's a minimum order of 3 - the add to cart amount is pre filled with 3 as the amount. Add it to your cart and the total goes to £99. My man maths went for a wander thinking 3 X 3 or 9 X 18kg bags for £99!

I'll amend the table later and hold fire ordering!

• 2 weeks later...

Table updated with correct price for Cookinpellets x3 deal and to add PINI Pellets that sotv suggested. If the Lil Devils don't materialise this month I'm thinking of giving the BBQ-Toro Beech a go, but I need to checkout who http://manomano.co.uk are first, their site doesn't provide any UK office contact details. Always wary when a company doesn't provide anything substantive contact wise!

pellets-2.JPG

Edited by Tabs

Thanks I'll add those to the table later today. Just a note on walnut, I've got a bag of BBQ'ers delight walnut pellets and those things are strong! Lotta flavour. Good for beef but wouldn't use it on pork or chicken.

I have emailed them asking for dimensions of the pellets as the Weber grill is really temperamental with larger pellets like the Traeger and GMG, so if they are around the 20mm size that will be great.

Never used Walnut before, but have read they impart a strong flavour. In general very pleased with the Weber Pellets (especially the Hickory), but only having a selection of 3 different types at the moment, limits your choice for different types of meat, so be nice to source another brand that works with them in the UK

First post updated with prices. It's easier for new users to find the most recent data if I do it like that! Rather than wading through posts to find the most price information.

@sotv Interesting prices with Alfresco. They must want shut of the Walnut stuff as the 2 x 10kg for £30 delivered works out slightly cheaper than taking the 8 x 10kg deal.

Got a bag of the Walnut to try from Alfresco, will update with how they perform later. Don't seem any oversized or irregular shaped pieces and very little dust in bag, so hopefully they perform with the Smokefire, as other pellets that are non Weber have been temperamental. 

IMG_20200616_064559_resized_20200616_064639232.thumb.jpg.8b0ceb3d8a05e14cf4088499de46dfaa.jpg