Tabs

Pellets in the UK

Since getting a pellet smoker I've been searching for suppliers of smoking pellets here in the UK. Found a place in Liverpool (just on the doorstep) which do very well priced bags of Lil Devils Pellets (imported), though I've yet to fire up the pit and try them so can't comment just yet.

Also tried the Perfect Mix stuff from Amazon. Results were good but price wise compared the lil devils were a touch spenny.

Any suggestions on other suppliers and brands to try?

Nice one! There are varying price levels going on there it's difficult to quantify (without sampling) if the premium products are worth the extra wonga ?

I must admit that I prefer the Cookshack Hickory. It is a good all-round pellet. I also keep some of the Texas Blend which I add sparingly when cooking brisket - but mostly I use the Hickory.

Van Hage garden centre in Peterborough has started stocking Traeger pellets if anyone’s interested. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sluggy said:

Van Hage garden centre in Peterborough has started stocking Traeger pellets if anyone’s interested. 

Do you think they'd work okay in an Ooni pizza oven? Van Have is just down the road from me and will save me having to pay a delivery charge. 

• Like 1

The Uuni burns through pellets like they are going out of fashion. Don't buy expensive pellets as the high heat that they burn at they do not actually impart any distinct wood flavours.

• Like 1

Should really update this seeing as I started it!

Ended up finding a local pellet supplier in Liverpool, called Liverpool Wood Pellets. They stock a brand called Lil' Devils and they come in at roughly £5-6 per 9kg bag if I  buy in bulk and collect.

http://www.liverpoolwoodpellets.co.uk/ourshop/cat_1462169-BBQ-Smoking-Wood-Pellets.html

Tried fancy, expensive pellets and the rate my Yoder goes through them in winter just doesn't make it economical unless I'm using a cheaper supply.

Results have been fantastic with Lil' Devils. Smoke ring always present and they impart a nice medium wood flavour on anything I cook. For reference a bag lasts upwards of 12 hours. Which, cost wise, is getting in to the charcoal territory for bang per buck.

Excuse the barbaric cutting but you can see the smoke ring on these short ribs. Best I've had considering pellets were the source.

IMG_20190209_193942.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Tabs said:

Should really update this seeing as I started it!

Ended up finding a local pellet supplier in Liverpool, called Liverpool Wood Pellets. They stock a brand called Lil' Devils and they come in at roughly £5-6 per 9kg bag if I  buy in bulk and collect.

http://www.liverpoolwoodpellets.co.uk/ourshop/cat_1462169-BBQ-Smoking-Wood-Pellets.html

Tried fancy, expensive pellets and the rate my Yoder goes through them in winter just doesn't make it economical unless I'm using a cheaper supply.

Results have been fantastic with Lil' Devils. Smoke ring always present and they impart a nice medium wood flavour on anything I cook. For reference a bag lasts upwards of 12 hours. Which, cost wise, is getting in to the charcoal territory for bang per buck.

Excuse the barbaric cutting but you can see the smoke ring on these short ribs. Best I've had considering pellets were the source.

IMG_20190209_193942.jpg

Those ribs look great

11 hours ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Any pellets would work in the Uuni, even the heating pellets, as you are not looking for smoke only heat.

Don't they need to be food grade?

11 hours ago, Wade said:

The Uuni burns through pellets like they are going out of fashion. Don't buy expensive pellets as the high heat that they burn at they do not actually impart any distinct wood flavours.

I've always bought the uuni ones previously. I used to be able to get them without a delivery charge, but not anymore. Makes them expensive

Lots of folks on the Unni sites use non food grade pellets. They burn that hot that no smoke is or very little Is produced.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2019 at 9:51 PM, Smokin Monkey said:

Lots of folks on the Unni sites use non food grade pellets. They burn that hot that no smoke is or very little Is produced.

Do you know of any brands I can look for?