Weber compact 47cm. Cooking problems.

AlanT1

I haven’t cook with charcoal for a long time. I have been using a Weber gas bbq.

Just bought a Weber compact 47cm with chimney starter kit using Weber charcoal Brigettes.

I have top and bottom vents open. Put 2kg of charcoal for not the chimney and lite with lighter cubes. After about 20 minutes light flames on top of charcoal and very hot and grey. Emptied over about 60% of the base and left for 15 minutes with lid on. When I opened the lid it was very hot. I cooked belly pork and drumsticks over the charcoal and it took well over 45 minutes and still some wasn’t cooked. I noticed the middle of the charcoal was black and producing hardly any heat. What did I do wrong? Sorry for being so long winded but I really want to get right next time.

It almost sounds like the meat juices have extinguised the coals, could be completely wrong!!!

Maybe try setting up a direct and indect zone next time, bring the meat up to temp on the indirect and then finish over the direct side.

• Thanks 1

weber coals are pretty good and will normally burn for a good couple of hours, if you had them in the starter for 20 mins and then on the grill for another 15mins, they should have been ready, as has been said, could they have been dripped on? that sounds like what your describing.

4 hours ago, smokeyjoe said:

weber coals are pretty good and will normally burn for a good couple of hours, if you had them in the starter for 20 mins and then on the grill for another 15mins, they should have been ready, as has been said, could they have been dripped on? that sounds like what your describing.

Thanks for your reply. I will try cooking next time with indirect cooking. I always thought fat dripping on hot charcoal made it burn more not less.

On 7/17/2022 at 9:36 AM, AlanT1 said:

Thanks for your reply. I will try cooking next time with indirect cooking. I always thought fat dripping on hot charcoal made it burn more not less.

No...fat dripping on to the fire will cause a flame up, which is ok, if you like the food black with smoke...with both vents wide open you have very little control over the temp. Start a chimney, have both vents say half way, pour in the chimney when it's ready put on the lid and watch the temp. Make sure the fire is on one side, turn the lid so the vent is on the opposite side, then watch the temp probe when it hits the temp you need use either or both vents to stabilize the temp at that point, start cooking.

Ice.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Icefever said:

No...fat dripping on to the fire will cause a flame up, which is ok, if you like the food black with smoke...with both vents wide open you have very little control over the temp. Start a chimney, have both vents say half way, pour in the chimney when it's ready put on the lid and watch the temp. Make sure the fire is on one side, turn the lid so the vent is on the opposite side, then watch the temp probe when it hits the temp you need use either or both vents to stabilize the temp at that point, start cooking.

Ice.

Excellent advice. Many thanks.

• Like 1