Which end ??

Icefever

You may want to consider splitting it in half lengthways to make rashers that are not quite so wide. These are then easier to slice once the bacon is ready. Will you be slicing with a knife or do you have a slicer?

2 hours ago, Wade said:

You may want to consider splitting it in half lengthways to make rashers that are not quite so wide. These are then easier to slice once the bacon is ready. Will you be slicing with a knife or do you have a slicer?

Point taken on board,  at the moment it'll be a knife,  funny last night Rosemary did say we may need a slicer.

2 hours ago, Wade said:

Also, is it skin on or skin off?

After last weekend listening to you as you prepared that side of pork  she told the butcher leave the skin on, but she did have him take the ribs out but had those as well.   ?

Scratching for us,  and we will be doing the ribs this weekend,  waste not want not as the old folks say.

Ice.

5 hours ago, Icefever said:

Not sure as Rosemary bought other meats as well,  all together  £40.  The last ribs cost £21 from him,  I've got to get a Bookers card as they are only 20 mins away.

Bookers  need invoice and utility bill  or bank a statement.  not as easy as it sounds.  How did you get away with that?  I one invoice is not enough

1 hour ago, Icefever said:

Point taken on board,  at the moment it'll be a knife,  funny last night Rosemary did say we may need a slicer.

After last weekend listening to you as you prepared that side of pork  she told the butcher leave the skin on,

If you like bacon with rind then leave it on. If you like rindless bacon then take it off. It is a personal choice. Personally, I take mine off.

Once you have cured it take it back to the butcher you bought it from and explain what you have done with his meat. You will probably find that he will be happy to slice it for you.

13 minutes ago, Justin said:

Exciting cook, Good luck with mate, patience is a virtue. Ar you giong to wrap or go with the stall.  That pork I did I went with a long stall.

I think Brian is going to dry cured this and use it for bacon. 

5 hours ago, Icefever said:

Don't have one at the moment was just looking.  I'm self employed but don't know if I'll qualify. 

I have a Bookers card, all I took in was my headed paper and an invoice I'd previously sent out to a client, and that was for my self-employed work as a graphic designer, they didn't seem too bothered with checking anything out really, though to be fair this was a few years ago, so they may be stricter now.

Vacuum did pretty well but liquid coming out of the pork into the inlet and that point it thinks a vacuum is fine and seals. I put on three seals to stop liquid escaping and up that end on plate so it has to cling to escape. Not perfect but learning. 

Edited by Justin
typos
  • Like 1

When curing the bacon you do not need a high vacuum for the meat - in fact you can do this just in a ziplock bag with the air pushed out. Using a vacuum pouch does help to keep all of the cure and brine in close contact with the meat and so it requires less frequent turning.

@Justin - You are learning fast :thumb1:. It is always a good idea to make a double seal on everything you pack to help protect from air leakage over time. All good commercial vacuum packers will give a double heat seal as standard. Some home units will too but this is much less common. It is easy enough though to move the singled sealed bag out a few millimetres and press the seal only button to get the second seal.

• Like 1