Landmann Kentucky offset smoker

HeyBertHeyErnie

14 hours ago, Cumminz said:

So good to find a UK smoker forum and with a similar model to mine, only used it a couple of times. i have installed similar mods, be good to get everyone's opinion and any tips you all have, will upload some pics soon as i can.

That's the reason I joined Cumminz,  I joined one of the US sites and found a link to this site via Wade.

I joined and have not looked back, we went to Woodsmoke 18 and had a great 3 days, we're going to the Northern Tailgate middle of Sept.

I also have a Kentucky and have done most of the mods on here. Great to have you on board,  matey... 

1 hour ago, Icefever said:

That's the reason I joined Cumminz,  I joined one of the US sites and found a link to this site via Wade.

I joined and have not looked back, we went to Woodsmoke 18 and had a great 3 days, we're going to the Northern Tailgate middle of Sept.

I also have a Kentucky and have done most of the mods on here. Great to have you on board,  matey... 

Thanks icefever, 

do you use the tuning plate mod I mentioned previously? 

49 minutes ago, HeyBertHeyErnie said:

The day I did this it was very windy, I think that has more to do with it.

Yes, I think that had more to do with it. The smaller offset smokers can be seriously affected by the weather (as can most smoker types). Wind and rain will cool them significantly and being in direct sunshine will cause them to heat up.

• Like 1

Messed around with a few combos of tuning plates today, used my new  InkBird thermometer and gave that a test as well. didn't cook anything just adjusted and observed. 

IMG_3205.thumb.JPG.401bd0a5300fc29b88238ee8c15c1a7c.JPG

first up was this.. have to say too much, it stifled the temp and blocked the heat from getting through, i was still using the coal basket mod. 

701857244_IMG_3203(2).thumb.JPG.f3e56078f573ff5da8b3d3932bac44e7.JPG

then i stripped it back to this, still using the coal basket. still didn't get the results i was hoping for.

IMG_E3200.thumb.JPG.bd3cbd414485479fdc3373c9a1fe0661.JPG

this combo was after i ditched the coal basket and used the coal grate set up that comes as standard, much better temp consistency!

IMG_3207.thumb.JPG.c6741edc70d97e8ddef64be78ff09fcf.JPG

In the end i took all the tuning plates out and observed the temp, still a bit of work to do but i would say .. use the firebox set up as standard and supplied, i wont be using the coal basket mod anymore. Whatever meat you are cooking, place on the far side of the grill.If you are cooking multiple items then use the set up in the last pic as this will stop the heat from the firebox from burning it and give you a bigger cooking area. highly recommend , it works a treat https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Bluetooth-Wireless-Thermometer-Magnetic/dp/B076QBJVWX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535496055&sr=8-1&keywords=inkbird+ibt-4xs

Edited by Cumminz

17 hours ago, Cumminz said:

Thanks icefever, 

do you use the tuning plate mod I mentioned previously? 

Not as yet,  I'm taking on board what you're doing,  as I'm a newbie as well.   ?  The offset has only run twice so far in the couple of months we've had it....so I'm in learning mode as far as this all goes.

Ice. 

This is exactly what I did for two days when I first got mine. I think tuning plates are only useful if you go all in on one properly, and only want to use it as a smoker. I want the versatility of having a large grill which can also smoke, so I can't really permanently fit tuning plates without compromising my grilling convenience. There are plenty of people smoking well on offsets without a tuning plate, which is only there to equalise temps anyway. I'm going to do a whole chicken next and see how that goes, placing it breasts away from the firebox in the middle of the grille. I think the main problem with mine is the firebox is a little small (which is maybe why your coalbasket hindered you?) and I need to chock full it to get a meaningful cook time!

Anyway, all good info, I'm glad someone else is on here experimenting with a UK offset ???????????

Edited by HeyBertHeyErnie
  • Like 1

Yarp, I did one full firebox to burn off all the silicone and manufacturing fumes and measured temps in three places on the grill for about an hour each. Then I left the probe in the middle and fiddled with only the air inlet to see how it affected it.

Lol, then it was straight onto a brisket, with fair to middling results ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used the two grates from the firebox, on the Oklahoma Joe Highland, and covered them with very large heavy duty foil trays to create  the tuning plates. One is angled across the cooking chamber covering the firebox hole, the second grate is covered exactly the same way and sits just in front of the first. This forces the heat under and along the cooking chamber which has resulted in just a 5 degree temperature difference along the entire cooking chamber! I have not found the need to run tuning plates along the entire length of the cooking chamber and when I did try, it never made any significant difference? I use the OJH exclusively for smoking so had no use for all the grates that came with it. It does work well and saves a ton of cash on plates! Not suggesting anybody should do as I have, just saying.?     

Hi everyone, 

Just a quick question about the Landmann Kentucky which is currently on sale at Homebase for £100. I was definitely going to buy one (for low and slow as i have pretty good gas grill already) but after doing a bit of research  I'm confused. Some websites have the Kentucky as recommended but others dont and you guys seem to have modified them to make them work properly. I'm fine to add some heat rope if needed but don't really want to have to do too much. Also I don't really want to spend £250 on a WSM or Pro Q Frontier.  So basically do you think the Kentucky worth it for £100?

Hi ya & welcome,  I think they are worth the money....you can do as much or as little in the way of mods,  it's all down to you.

The Kentucky is for me, it suits what I want at the moment, I'm new to all of this. My idea for a BBQ was sauages  & burgers...until I joined the forum.

To fine tune, it is not difficult,,,, so IMHO buy for 100 smackers....it's a bargain.

:thumb1: Ice.

Depends really. Personal choice. I think the pro q is more versatile and a better quality build. Plus less footprint. I have a weber kettle and Smokey mountain and that does everything I want . With a sous vide there are more options than I can cook.  Others undestand landemann and offsets better but from what I read the build quality ends up with lots of kids to improve it. I like it to work out of the box and the pro q does that. @wade. Do you agree?

2 hours ago, May the Sauce be with you said:

Thanks Justin. Any thoughts on the Kentucky for £100 or should I just bite the bullet and buy a Pro Q (sorry for the bad bullet pun) 

Welcome, I am sure you will choose the right one for you. Only posting these details in case you do decide to go for the ProQ and don't want you to miss out on a potential deal for it.

Hotsmoked are selling the ProQ Frontier 2018 version for £294 delivered but till 7th September they are doing 10% off everything with code INDIESUMMER I got mine from there in 2017 and have bought other things from them as well and a vendor I can recommend. If you go for the ProQ well worth adding a step up grill the extra layer of cooking space for £12.99 is a good investment imho and the new Plancha accessory for them could well be on my xmas list for next year. As well as the uses it states in the description. I reckon, I will be able to do an outdoor Paella on it.  Which has always appealed to me.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

If you want something to solely use as a smoker around the £100 mark, I would probably recommend a bullet smoker like the callow that Wade has reviewed. The Kentucky is a compromise, and you do need to mod it to get the best from it. The kinda accepted wisdom is that an offset smoker is a temperamental beast. I like it because I can grill and smoke on one thing now I've modded it. If you already have a grill you don't need that, and really want to focus on the smoking ability out the box. There are others on here who would have a much more educated opinion than me, ask the question on a dedicated post, comment on the Callow review, or DM Wade about the Callow he reviewed, I doubt he'd mind ?

2 hours ago, Wade said:

The ProQ would be my choice of the two  for the reasons you mentioned but i fully understand the attraction of an offset as I had a couple of them to begin with.

Thanks Wade however I think I have settled on the Callow Smoker as the new model sounds like an improvement - so for under £100 with cover it's fantastic value. It'll be exclusively used for leg/shoulder or lamb, ribs, chicken and medium size pork shoulder which will all fit. Now as it's officially my Christmas present do I buy now or wait and see if somewhere has it reduced during early winter?

P.'s.  Your reviews of the Callow have really helped - cheers

• Like 2

New piece of kit!

1699021361_IMG_3196(2).thumb.JPG.4a2542c8d592cb0e9bfcbe75e59eb2f5.JPG

Have used this a few times on smoked chicken with good results, only rule is that you cant use any marinade with any particles in as they will clog/damage the needle. i used melted butter with apple juice, smoked garlic powder, a drop of brown sugar and a couple of sprigs of thyme then strained into a bowl. Its a continuous feed design. No need to refill, you place the tube in the bowl of marinade and then pump into the chamber. it has various settings so you can adjust how much liquid you pump into the meat, a bargain for £29.99 on eBay!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173467706076?ViewItem=&item=173467706076

Edited by Cumminz

On 9/2/2018 at 5:35 PM, May the Sauce be with you said:

Thanks Wade however I think I have settled on the Callow Smoker as the new model sounds like an improvement

There are only two small mods that I would do to the new Callow

1. use some stove tape to seal around the door. This is available when buying the Callow from Garden Gift Ship as an accessory or inexpensively online.
  2. Add some small locking washers under the nuts that fix the air vent covers in place to stop them from working loose. Not a requirement but will help avoid some frustration when the unit is hot.

12 hours ago, Cumminz said:

New piece of kit!

1699021361_IMG_3196(2).thumb.JPG.4a2542c8d592cb0e9bfcbe75e59eb2f5.JPG

It looks well made and good value. Great for injecting flavour. If using it to inject cure though you will need to make sure you weigh the meat as it is being injected to ensure you know exactly how much is going in.

3 hours ago, Wade said:

It looks well made and good value. Great for injecting flavour. If using it to inject cure though you will need to make sure you weigh the meat as it is being injected to ensure you know exactly how much is going in.

thanks for that wade, didn't think about that!

turned out well, so juicy. 

IMG_3054.thumb.JPG.f1834909d433fe3dcfca4703748831fd.JPGIMG_3053.thumb.JPG.0086652e5b8527b0805263187d889e95.JPG

Edited by Cumminz