2018 National Smokers & BBQ Weekend Menu Ideas

Just put together  a ingredient list to bring and it occurs to me there will a certain amount of commonalty here, Anything in the below (excuse typos) that is available between us or should I brig everything?  What sort of monetary contribution to the centre is suitable?

20180709_163951.thumb.jpg.87e06f6aaeec7817e9b73ed7f2f03d98.jpg

1 hour ago, Mooo said:

I do a onion and bay leaf loaf, with lard.  Makes lovely subs, with an almost sausage aroma/taste.   

Justin.   "I do" :D  not to be confused with "I am doing" .. this all sounds so good I ought to attend, but it hasn't made the calendar yet.  :S

Edited by Mooo
bad smiley
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Justin said:

Just put together  a ingredient list to bring and it occurs to me there will a certain amount of commonalty here, Anything in the below (excuse typos) that is available between us or should I brig everything?  What sort of monetary contribution to the centre is suitable?

Will have a look through your list later.

• Like 1

Just been to Springwood Meats in Braintree, Very reasonable prices and top draw supplier,  Anything needs he can supply, He is a meat smoker himself just starting out.  Had a good chat with him (Rick) and pointed him to this forum for advice as his smoker has paint peeling on the first smoke! was not cheap thing, offset smoker. Hope he comes sees what is going on here and the support available.

www.springwoodmeats.co.uk

Pork shoulder bone in £4 per kg.. seems cheap to me and their web profile is frankly excellent so must be good.

1 minute ago, Justin said:

Just been to Springwood Meats in Braintree, Very reasonable prices and top draw supplier,  Anything needs he can supply, He is a meat smoker himself just starting out.  Had a good chat with him (Rick) and pointed him to this forum for advice as his smoker has paint peeling on the first smoke! was not cheap thing, offset smoker. Hope he comes sees what is going on here and the support available.

www.springwoodmeats.co.uk

Pork shoulder bone in £4 per kg.. seems cheap to me and their web profile is frankly excellent so must be good.

Oh I i might add half the price of Humphreys in Braintree town center (who are on the member map). good as Humphreys are, they are a rip off

On 7/9/2018 at 4:45 PM, Justin said:

May i ask again, do I need to buy all these or is there centralised resources on any of these things?  Mrs Ice is bring tray of farm fresh eggs...fr Saturday breakfast recipe I posted

47 minutes ago, Icefever said:

We see from your recipe that you do indirect cooking...will this work on our bullet smoker???

With the gammon on the bottom grill and lamb on the top one ? Will this be ok...we appreciate your thoughts.  

The bullet smoker with the "water" bowl in place is an indirect cook as the water bowl acts as a heat baffle. You can place water or sand in the pan to act as a heat buffer or you can leave it empty.

2 minutes ago, Mooo said:

I have found water works better than sand.  It tends to keep things a bit moister, so there is less of a drying effect on the meat.   

It is all really down to personal preference and experience in your own smoker. I did a comparison trial for a US BBQ forum a few years ago and cooked two similar chickens on a ProQ bullet smoker - one with water and the other with sand. There was no appreciable difference between the two results. This was at ~150 C for just over an hour. Longer cooks may be different but one of the by-products of burning wood/charcoal is water vapour so it will be in the smoker anyway. I do my low-and-slow with an empty water pan now and it remains moist. When using the water I do find it uses more fuel though as the water in the bowl absorbs extra energy as the water turns to water vapour/steam.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wade said:

It is all really down to personal preference and experience in your own smoker. I did a comparison trial for a US BBQ forum a few years ago and cooked two similar chickens on a ProQ bullet smoker - one with water and the other with sand. There was no appreciable difference between the two results. This was at ~150 C for just over an hour. Longer cooks may be different but one of the by-products of burning wood/charcoal is water vapour so it will be in the smoker anyway. I do my low-and-slow with an empty water pan now and it remains moist. When using the water I do find it uses more fuel though as the water in the bowl absorbs extra energy as the water turns to water vapour/steam.

I agree. I am a low and slow. Yes it does use a bit more fuel, but I figure its worth it.  Just fitted a damper on the bread oven for the same reason.

• Like 1