Best briquettes?

• 5 months later...
On 8/1/2018 at 10:28 AM, sotv said:

Been looking to try some cocoshell briquettes for a while now. Thinking about the ProQ ones and although a reasonably big outlay £50 for 30kg delivered still not to bad a price at just over £1.60 a kg. Just not sure it is any better than the Big K restaurant Grade charcoal I currently use. Anyone any experience of the ProQ or cocoshell in general over  lumpwood charcoal

Finally tried some of these today, was impressed with the cleanliness of the finished cook and no aftertaste that some of the cheaper lumpwood can leave.

Used 3.5kg of the ProQ cocoshell briquettes for a 9 hour cook. For a  couple of racks of ribs a little bit expensive, but certainly for 6-8 racks of ribs I would be happy with the outlay for the quantity of food. 

A little difficult to get to light compared to lumpwood but this mornings damp drizzly conditions may have contributed to that. My chimney starter would require 3 kg of these to fill compared to lumpwood as they are so small. I may mix with Restaurant Grade lumpwood next time for the chimney starter and add a kg of the cocoshell to the basket. If only cooking a couple of racks.

They maintain temperature really well over the length of the cook even in wet and damp conditions.

• Like 3

The better quality briquettes are usually harder to light as they are denser than the cheaper brands. This includes the ProQ cocoshell briquettes. 3.5 Kg does sound quite a lot for a 9 hour cook - but their efficiency will depend on the smoker being used and the outside temperature. Did you have many left at the end of the smoke? It is worth shutting all the vents immediately you have finished cooking to extinguish the fire as any unburned (or partially burned) briquettes can be used for the next cook.

• Like 1

I hadn't got any Lumpwood at the time to mix with it, I cook at a constant 225F, pretty well for everything so ribs take 8-9 hours for me. If I cooked without any water in the bowl at 250-275 F I am sure I  could get them done in 5-6 hours, and used less, but it is our preferred way of cooking and eating the ribs. There was very little left of  the briquettes at the end of the cook and grilling the ribs  off after adding the sauce.

Got some Big K Restaurant Grade Lumpwood Charcoal literally jut delivered now after ordering yesterday lunchtime online (very impressed with delivery time)and just under £35 delivered for 30kg so got some now to try out by mixing them together during the cook.I may just save the briquettes for the Jumbuck rotisserie, I still haven't got out the box from last year and carry on with the lumpwood for the ProQ though

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Diggerg said:

Has anyone used fuel from penbead? They do a couple of different types of briquettes. Tempted to try the hog roast fuel ones.

Wow - that is a name from the past. The last time I used them was in 2011 and at that time they were being sold through B&Q. They were a very good briquette then and I used them regularly. 8 years on I can only hope that they are still using the same formulation.

I checked them out last month online, the indifferent reviews on Amazon put me off tbh, although there are more positive reviews on Ebay. The cheapest i found them delivered though was direct from the manufacturer here for 2 or 3 bags

Will be interested to see what you think of them if you get some.. 

10 hours ago, Raptor72 said:

I need to get some 

Apparently this is also good stuff 

https://www.greenolivefirewood.co.uk/about-green-olive-firewood-co

My local garden centre sold their lumpwood last year. It was a little expensive, but the quality was the best I've used. Huge lumps which lasted forever. Hoping they stock it again this year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Icefever said:

Did you buy local or over the web??  and what's the cost??

Ice.  t1602.gif

I paid £19.99 for the equivalent of 12kg ( by volume ). I bought on Amazon with free delivery. What I have noticed is that all the pieces are of a size that is usable and there appears to be next to no crushed pieces/ dust in the bottom of the bag. I can’t really comment on burn time yet as I used in the Tandoor and that will eat 1kg of good quality briquettes every hour when hot. I will try in the Smokey Joe or 57cm and see what I get. Interestingly the bag recommends closing all bottom vents once it gets to temp which took about 10 minutes yesterday.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 11:22 AM, Raptor72 said:

I need to get some 

Apparently this is also good stuff 

https://www.greenolivefirewood.co.uk/about-green-olive-firewood-co

Just bought 4 bags from Amazon  from 2 different accounts (2 bags on each) came to £41.96 for 32 kg delivered with the today only discount offer they have at the moment £5 off £25 spend on each account. It is temporarily out of stock, but in no rush for it at the moment, but wanted to try it. If I was to order direct from them it would have cost me £61.96 so a decent saving overall.

4 hours ago, sotv said:

Just bought 4 bags from Amazon  from 2 different accounts (2 bags on each) came to £41.96 for 32 kg delivered with the today only discount offer they have at the moment £5 off £25 spend on each account. It is temporarily out of stock, but in no rush for it at the moment, but wanted to try it. If I was to order direct from them it would have cost me £61.96 so a decent saving overall.

I’ve ordered some