Gravity or Pellet fed?

Matty814

Hi all,

Got another one of those awkward questions! I currently have an offset but want to move to something a little more 'set and forget' as the weather is turning!

So have been looking at the Masterbuilt 800 if I went gravity or probably something like the Traegar Pro 780 if I went pellet.

Anyone have experience with either?

TIA

Can only speak for a pellet grill as that is what I own (Smokefire EX4) but it has changed the way and how many times I cook. I probably cook 3-5 times a week in the summer and 2-3 times a week in the winter on mine. Case of setting the temperature waiting 20 minutes to reach it and away you go (Believe the Masterbuilt is the same principle  as well)

Because I have bought into the accessories, as well as use cast iron I cook a wide variety of meals at temperatures ranging from 225-600F and can adjust the temperatures during the cook also.

Did saffron & white wine mussels on Saturday evening at 7pm using the Weber Wok and a Chicken Sunday Roast including Vegetable and potatoes yesterday, pellet grills are so versatile, I've found

Bought myself a Pit Barrel if I need the occasional charcoal fix or the odd time I'm cooking for a large amount of people and need the extra capacity, but otherwise it is all pellet grill cooking now.

Whichever you decide having an outside electrical point is a real boon because cooking in the dark with a trailing extension wire from the kitchen ain't the best & really only heavy rain stops me cooking outside and that's because I worry about the electronics, but otherwise I can't think of any drawback of either machine you're looking at

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll enjoy

• Like 1

I already own a kamado style BBQ and decided I wanted something even more set & forget for days when I don't have a lot of time or for an overnight cook. I went for the Traeger Pro 575 as got a great deal on it.

I've only done a couple of cooks so far but it seems great. Really easy to use, come up to temp pretty quickly and holds temp with 5 degrees all day - 12 hour brisket cook was a doddle.

I'm not sure what the running costs are yet and availability of pellets could be a consideration (you can't pop to the local garage in an emergency and grab a bag).

If I didn't already own the kamado, I think I would have gone for the Masterbuilt 800, it has all the ease of the pellet grill, the griddle plate and can reach higher temps (certainly than the Traeger) for searing, pizza etc.

As @sotv says, I think you'll be happy with whichever one you go for, good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pittmab said:

I already own a kamado style BBQ and decided I wanted something even more set & forget for days when I don't have a lot of time or for an overnight cook. I went for the Traeger Pro 575 as got a great deal on it.

I've only done a couple of cooks so far but it seems great. Really easy to use, come up to temp pretty quickly and holds temp with 5 degrees all day - 12 hour brisket cook was a doddle.

I'm not sure what the running costs are yet and availability of pellets could be a consideration (you can't pop to the local garage in an emergency and grab a bag).

If I didn't already own the kamado, I think I would have gone for the Masterbuilt 800, it has all the ease of the pellet grill, the griddle plate and can reach higher temps (certainly than the Traeger) for searing, pizza etc.

As @sotv says, I think you'll be happy with whichever one you go for, good luck!

I use these and grab them at the offer price they currently are on Amazon Cookin Pellets around the £25 mark for 18kg. They work really well on my Smokefire, good flavour and usually very little or no sawdust in a bag. They do a Hickory one as well but at £33 currently I would wait till they come down to around the £25 like the Perfect Mix.

The hopper on mine holds just under 9kg and lasts around 16-18 hours on a constant cook a little less on stop start shorter cooks definitely more expensive than charcoal to run, but the ease and versatility is worth the extra cost imho

I've bought 4 of those big plastic containers with lockable lids that are stackable and lockable. Proved to be thoroughly watertight (holds 2 of these 18kg bags) and I keep all my charcoal and pellets in them and means I always have plenty of fuel in stock will add another 2 bags of the Perfect Mix in the next couple of days at this price.

Can understand why people are opting for the Traeger 575 when it is currently £500 cheaper than the Smokefire EX4. I know production costs have gone up but why Weber have chose to raise the price of the Smokefire by £250 and keep it at that all year must be costing them sales in the Pellet machine market.

I'm a total convert as I have said, can't think an way of cooking outdoors (except for maybe a Gozney Dome) would make me want to use my Smokefire less, it's been a revelation for me.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1