Mini kamado charcoal grate

Porkpie

Hello all, I've just started barbecuing and have a Aldi/Gardenline mini kamado.

I have managed to lose my charcoal grate (pictured), and I had two questions.

Can I still use the mini kamado by just putting charcoal in the bottom of the fire bowl, or would that just block it up and prevent proper air flow?

And if I do need to replace it, would this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diameter-127mm-Thick-Circular-Finish/dp/B018K8PGI4) sort of thing work if it's the right size if I can't find an official replacement? It says it's a drain cover, but it's cast iron and has holes to allow the ash to fall through.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

PP

Screenshot_20210905-110446_Opera Mini beta.jpg

Yes anything like that drain cover will work,  you could get away without it for a time, but you'll have to get an eye on the coals.  Do you know the dia??? If I was home I could check my one....but down in Devon at the mo...but one of the other guys could check for you, we have plenty on here with the mini kad.

Ice.

5 hours ago, Porkpie said:

Thanks Icefever, that's very useful. I think the diameter would be about 5", so I might just go for the drain cover as it's half the price of the one in your link.

PP

Spot on Porkpie 👍...as I said..pricey......that's because I'm a Yorkshire man....🤣🤣😎...let us know how you get on??.

Ice.