Smoke on the Water 2021.

Icefever

Nearly there 🤞...we're off on Tue 31st about noon, down the M5 staying at a campsite 2.5 miles from QuiteWater Farm. We decide to go early, set up at the site....R&R Wed/Thur then get stuck in Friday afternoon.:th_INGardenbbq7:

I'm down on the judges list, so looking forward to it, ooooooohhhh all those ribs, brisket & chicken all cooked by some of the top BBQ teams....still some one as to do it.

Ice.

• Like 1

Have just judged at Smoke & Fire in Essex but cannot make it down to Smoke on the Water this year due to SWMBO significant birthday celebrations :wife:. I hope that everything goes OK and the weather holds.

It looks like they have had to cancel the Judging course there this year as not enough people registered. That is a pity as we need more judges in the UK.

Have fun and enjoy the weekend.

1 hour ago, sotv said:

Sorry to hear that Ice, hopefully you'll still get some sort of break down there still?

Cheers SOTV  👍...no worries mate....yes we have the campsite booked for 9 nights,  we thought if we're going that far down, had no holls as such during 2020, we built the 10 days around the event.

Not to worry it turn's out now there are a number of distilleries in the area, I booked a rum one, so looking forward to that. We're already booked into a hotel down in Brixham the 2nd week as there's a fish restaurant we what to book a table at.....see if it lives up to it???😉

Ice.

Have a nice time, was in Exmouth for 5 days a few weeks ago, eat at Mickey's on the seafront in Exmouth and went to my favourite restaurant The Crab Shack in Teignmouth had great seafood at both. Love Brixham, the fish straight from the boats into the fishmongers at the side of the harbour and some of the restaurants are fabulous alongside the harbour. Enjoy

Edited by sotv

Judges course I was supposed to be on cancelled due to 2 drop outs.. but I have been invited as a guest and to do course next year. Going to help in judges tent, do photography and picking up Jason in Andover who is judging. Looking forward to meeting new friends.

Do not underestimate the amount of effort and cost it takes to organise an event like that. Finding a suitable venue would be the first challenge.

The competition calendar also gets quite full during the season and it would be important to choose a date so it doesn't clash with other UK or European competitions. If it is a KCBS event there are KCBS rules regarding the minimum requirements and the expenses of the Reps and prizes needs to be covered - many events use a combination of team entry fees, sponsorship and public ticketing to cover these.

Certainly possible, but anyone thinking about organising such an event would need to go in with their eyes wide open.

• Like 1

Yes I was talking with mark about that. I am very aware now of the challenges. I agree location is key and cost well though SOTW pricing covered the costs there.  I think another challenge is catering for the teams and judges and volunteers.  Neither insurmountable but it is possible.  It is very apparent that there are not enough events like SOTW in the UK and it will be an achievement to have similar closed sanctioned event int he east.  I think I can take this on but I would need assistance  on the weekend and arranging i think.  I do wonder if anyone in the community here will be up for that ins initial principle.

there are benefits as teams will be keen given it would be first event only need 10 to play to qualify   and judges galore will want to get the accreditation up.  I can underwrite the costs  and repay that withe the fees, 10 teams would  provide 2500, and there after judges £50 each for costs.  I note SOTW is double header next year Sat and Sun competitions. Thoughts

You do not need to feed the teams - SOTW is almost unique in this respect. It adds to the cost and also adds to the complexity. You would be better considering an open event in a venue that would also attract the public who would pay an entrance fee. Brew 'n Q did it this way. Personally, I am more interested in raising the awareness of competition BBQ with the general public rather than closing down the event as if it were a secret society.

I am also not keen as a judge to be asked to pay for the "privilege" of judging. After the costs of certifying with KCBS, travel to and from the event, paying for overnight accommodation and other incidentals, being a judge should at least entitle you to free entry. SOTW has been the only event that I have been asked to pay to attend.

I strongly suggest that you wait, attend and watch several other competitions before you decide on the best format for a new start-up competition.

• Like 1

i thin  the judges cost is really about the cost of hospitality with breakfast lunch and dinner each day. but yes.  I have suggested to SOTW that they could look at attendees actually catering amongst themselves, cooking a paella and some  other dishes amongst our selves rather than just sitting around and drinking and waiting for food.  In effect min tailgate alongside for non teams attendees and team cater for themsleves, be nice to have a dinner with everyone together though, it works.  All the teams joined in on dinner event at SOTW, was Pork and chicken  with salad and potato salad. Worked well, good chat and food.  Appreciate your advice and viewpoint wade but it does work as closed event,  Alongside events is another but a lot people think think such is just a bolt on and not part of those events anyway, so effectively closed either way.  There were lots and lots of judges at SOTW who were happy to pay their £50 quid and they enjoyed themselves immensely  There were 8 team here, about 40 to 50 people were there in all,  the winner prize was a bristol drum which was donated by a chap that was there, i forget his name but was a nice chap and he judged too.  The certificates and plastic medals were bronze silver and gold which was a nice touch,  There was a great atmosphere of community their.

Plus if it is open event what is the attraction for all those that are not in teams, judging or volunteering?  I not up for organising some thing wider that that really.  Notthinking of it being the same as SOTW,  but similar. 

I am not sure that I agree with some of your comments - however I admire your enthusiasm. All I will say again is that before rushing headlong into organising a new start-up competition I strongly suggest that you attend and watch several other competition formats before you commit too heavily. Organising a KCBS competition is very different to organising a tail-gate.

:thumb1:

• Like 2

Yes I  realise that, not thinking that for a moment. If i do achieve it then i think that is a good thing, big challenge, we shall see if it is achievable.  If it is and it progresses i would hope to see some confidence. If not then nothing lost. Thanks Wade, appreciated

• 2 weeks later...