Cast Iron Camping

Simon

For the last week and a bit, me and the family have been camping in Norfolk, and now moved into Suffolk, which has been great fun as it seems London is becoming twinned with Atlantis at the moment 🌧. With this we have decided to avoid the usual poorly cook burgers/sausages on the makeshift bbq, and tried to get a few different meals in. So I decided to try to cook most nights on the Dutch oven, and I must admit the results have been pretty good. 
Must admit it would have been nice to have taken some more spices and tried to make a few more things from scratch, but I have enjoyed the hour each night sat by the coals and relaxing while dinner is cooking away. Wish I had taken some pictures of the results. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 9:09 AM, Simon said:

I’m looking at getting some more bits, and was looking at UK made stuff, but the bits I’ve seen are expensive. If anyone knows decent priced UK made Cast Iron then give a shout. 

Not sure if these are UK made?. I own the Lodge combo version of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V4JVYG6?  But this Kichly version is well reviewed and at £22.94 is a bargain imho. It has so many uses and is my most commonly used piece of cast iron I own. I fry steaks in the skillet and do rice dishes or stews in the deeper one. I also deep fry breaded chicken pieces in it and have even baked bread in it.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 8:56 AM, sotv said:

Not sure if these are UK made?. I own the Lodge combo version of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V4JVYG6?  But this Kichly version is well reviewed and at £22.94 is a bargain imho. It has so many uses and is my most commonly used piece of cast iron I own. I fry steaks in the skillet and do rice dishes or stews in the deeper one. I also deep fry breaded chicken pieces in it and have even baked bread in it.

My wife has used our Dutch Oven and my skillet to bake bread in. She recently started making sour dough , so we continually have the starter in our fridge. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I have been camping with cast iron cookware for over 40 years. I have always found that cast iron is the best for cooking over open fire coals. Any cast iron pots and pan will work, even Griswold, Wagner and Lodge. For frying, my favorite is bacon and eggs in a 10" Griswold skillet. For Dutch oven cooking, I use a Skillet or a Griswold large dutch oven. I recommend that you use a small Dutch oven and Dutch ovens that is seasoned well because they will work much better. For Campfire cooking, it is important to use at least a 10" Griswold skillet so that you can fry an egg and cook bacon in it. If you are thinking of buying one, you should know that Lodge has a lifetime replacement guarantee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...