Nose Smoke Blind?

Mighty1968

So, I smoked some beef burgers at 135c with some apple wood till they were about 65c in the middle then I seared them for a minute or so each side. They turned out great but I couldn't really notice the smokiness but my wife and son said they were really smokey and delicious. I think I had gone nose smoke blind.

Any way to stop this? As the person cooking the food I should get to enjoy it as much as everyone else at least.

• 1 year later...

Yeah after a day of smoking with all that smoke going up your nose etc you won't have the same taste. The Olfactory controls both the taste and smell. They say smell is responsible for about 80% of taste. You could try and go for a hot shower to wash off the smoke and unclog the nasal passage. I find that after a day of smoking its good to do that whilst the food is resting then you can enjoy it more. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hoogl said:

Yeah after a day of smoking with all that smoke going up your nose etc you won't have the same taste. The Olfactory controls both the taste and smell. They say smell is responsible for about 80% of taste. You could try and go for a hot shower to wash off the smoke and unclog the nasal passage. I find that after a day of smoking its good to do that whilst the food is resting then you can enjoy it more. 

Never thought about that...I just put it down to my taste buds not neing as sensitive haha👍

Thanks hoogl

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdamG said:

Never thought about that...I just put it down to my taste buds not neing as sensitive haha👍

Thanks hoogl

After a couple of hours smoking be it brisket, pulled pork etc I stop with the smoke wood & continue with just the charcoal, less smoke, also being a simpleton tend to loiter a few metres away where the smoke isn't so concentrated...... test for me is if clothes smell strongly of smoke or not. Also tend to drink water so when eating no competing flavours like homemade beer or 🍷. Mgmt hasn't complained lately about either me or food being too smoky.

Guess getting the balance right is all part of improving smoking skills .........or just an excuse the keep on grilling.  . .

• Like 2

13 hours ago, U can do that again said:

Mgmt hasn't complained lately about either me or food being too smoky.

Guess getting the balance right is all part of improving smoking skills .........or just an excuse the keep on grilling.  . .

It's always great when the mgmt is happy and as you say it gives you a great excuse to keep practicing :th_INGardenbbq7:

14 hours ago, AdamG said:

Thanks hoogl

It could be the taste buds/nose but I do think a shower etc can help. It's like when you taste the smoked food the next day particularly when it's cold the smoke flavour can be a bit more intense. 

• Like 1