Napoleon Rotisserie Basket

The Chairmaker

I've been wanting a basket for a wee while, but there isn't that much available. There's the OnlyFire ones on Amazon, but they are full of razor sharp edges. If they don't rip your hands to bits cleaning them, then they will flay the skin off the chicken. 

The Broil-King looks good, but they've been unavailible for ages. Weber do one, but it's coated mild steel, and IMHO, mild steel has no place near food. Kamadoe Joe released one, a very over-engineered piece, but the design looked good. The problem is that it's coated steel again, and KJ have had problems with the coating coming off any of their black metals. AFAIK, they have stopped selling it and any buyers are getting full refunds.

That left the Napoleon 64000. Stainless steel, nice and simple and effective. Again, they've been out-of-stock everywhere, but I recently managed to get one. It's well made, you put it on the rotisserie rod, fill it with food and let it spin round (there's not a lot more to say about a rotisserie basket at the end of the day!). It does a damn fine job of chicken wings, getting them nicely crisped all over. You can also chuck baby new spuds or other veggies in there for roasting too. It fits nicely with room to spare on my Big Joe. I believe that it will also fit a Classic, but is very tight. Cleaning is easy...just bung it in the dishwasher. If hand cleaning then I'd recommend chucking it in a bucket of hot water and detergent to soak and soften the gunk.

If you've got a rotisserie and want to take your wings to the next level then this is £60 well worth spending.

Edited by The Chairmaker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That looks like a great piece of kit!

Never thought of getting anything like that before on a rotisserie. Does it just slide over the standard rotisserie bar?

edit:

Yeah I read it again and see the answer is already there doh!🤦‍♂️

Edited by AdamG
bad reading....
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AdamG said:

That looks like a great piece of kit!

Never thought of getting anything like that before on a rotisserie. Does it just slide over the standard rotisserie bar?

edit:

Yeah I read it again and see the answer is already there doh!🤦‍♂️

It'll fit pretty much anything up to (I think) half-inch hex bar.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2021 at 7:18 PM, The Chairmaker said:

I've been wanting a basket for a wee while, but there isn't that much available. There's the OnlyFire ones on Amazon, but they are full of razor sharp edges. If they don't rip your hands to bits cleaning them, then they will flay the skin off the chicken. 

The Broil-King looks good, but they've been unavailible for ages. Weber do one, but it's coated mild steel, and IMHO, mild steel has no place near food. Kamadoe Joe released one, a very over-engineered piece, but the design looked good. The problem is that it's coated steel again, and KJ have had problems with the coating coming off any of their black metals. AFAIK, they have stopped selling it and any buyers are getting full refunds.

That left the Napoleon 64000. Stainless steel, nice and simple and effective. Again, they've been out-of-stock everywhere, but I recently managed to get one. It's well made, you put it on the rotisserie rod, fill it with food and let it spin round (there's not a lot more to say about a rotisserie basket at the end of the day!). It does a damn fine job of chicken wings, getting them nicely crisped all over. You can also chuck baby new spuds or other veggies in there for roasting too. It fits nicely with room to spare on my Big Joe. I believe that it will also fit a Classic, but is very tight. Cleaning is easy...just bung it in the dishwasher. If hand cleaning then I'd recommend chucking it in a bucket of hot water and detergent to soak and soften the gunk.

If you've got a rotisserie and want to take your wings to the next level then this is £60 well worth spending.

Where did you manage to get it? Have been searching for one for months with no luck

On 7/25/2021 at 9:38 AM, Mojopin said:

Where did you manage to get it? Have been searching for one for months with no luck

They're as rare as chickens teeth, and have been for a while. I think that I got it from Dawsons BBQ World. but they are showing as no stock again.

I did find this though....looks like it's built like a tank. It's a little bit smaller (about 25mm in both diameter and length) but that'll make it easier to fit on smaller BBQs. Looks good value.

https://www.souschef.co.uk/products/rosle-rotisserie-bbq-basket?variant=39361504346170&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAjwuvmHBhAxEiwAWAYj-LrsJ_xs0_zxOkiaW7Lq8Vuztt6rHFfXBG1sjcNUjMbQFvVVsaMK0RoCQl0QAvD_BwE

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 10:33 AM, AdamG said:

Nice find @pittmab. It does look like a nice piece of kit.

My only concern is that Im always wary (paranoid?) with coatings and direct flame...even though in the pics it kind of suggests it would be fine?

Would be useful indirect though👍

Yeah, I think the same too. I don't like non-stick coatings, especially when cooking over coals.

Kamado Joe seem to be notorious for getting their coatings wrong. The top vent on their (expensive!) kamados always seem to flake. They've had to withdraw from sale and refund buyers of their rotisserie basket as the coatings flaked.

Personally, for BBQing it has to be stainless steel or cast iron, IMHO.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Chairmaker said:

Yeah, I think the same too. I don't like non-stick coatings, especially when cooking over coals.

Kamado Joe seem to be notorious for getting their coatings wrong. The top vent on their (expensive!) kamados always seem to flake. They've had to withdraw from sale and refund buyers of their rotisserie basket as the coatings flaked.

Personally, for BBQing it has to be stainless steel or cast iron, IMHO.

I didnt know that about the kamado joe top vents. I was originally considering on replacing my top vent (old cast iron version) with on of the newer kamado joe ones if it ever got damaged etc. I dont like the look of the new Monolith top vent design for the days it starts to rain.

25 minutes ago, AdamG said:

I didnt know that about the kamado joe top vents. I was originally considering on replacing my top vent (old cast iron version) with on of the newer kamado joe ones if it ever got damaged etc. I dont like the look of the new Monolith top vent design for the days it starts to rain.

Look at the Smokeware stainless steel ones : - https://www.bbqandsmoke.co.uk/products/smokeware-vented-chimney-cap-for-kamado-joe

Also available for Monolith

• Like 1

Thanks @Phlashster 👍

First impressions are good with that smokeware cap, it would also look more suited than the original cast iron since all the banding is stainless steel aswell while solving the heavy rain and vent setting issue's😎

Could be an option in the future if I ever do need to replace my original

1 hour ago, AdamG said:

Thanks @Phlashster 👍

First impressions are good with that smokeware cap, it would also look more suited than the original cast iron since all the banding is stainless steel aswell while solving the heavy rain and vent setting issue's😎

Could be an option in the future if I ever do need to replace my original

I've had the Smokeware for over a year. Better control (more precise), cleans up easily.

The only time i don't use it, is when i am doing pizza and am pushing the heat to the max. I put the old cast iron one on for that. 

PXL_20201117_074908739.thumb.jpg.f9d1374ac47bed091edf70f77cba17ac.jpg

Phil.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phlashster said:

I've had the Smokeware for over a year. Better control (more precise), cleans up easily.

The only time i don't use it, is when i am doing pizza and am pushing the heat to the max. I put the old cast iron one on for that. 

PXL_20201117_074908739.thumb.jpg.f9d1374ac47bed091edf70f77cba17ac.jpg

Phil.

Thanks Phil👍

• 1 year later...

I still have not got round to getting one of these yet.

At first glance the weber looks like a solid choice. It clamps shut at both ends rather than just the middle. It looks like it has a stronger frame and it comes with the divider. My only concern would be the mesh breaking away from the frame....but that is based on previous items I have had (and not all of those broke)

2 hours ago, carl123uk said:

What's people opinions on the best basket a couple of years down the line?

I've narrowed it down to either the Napoleon or Weber or is there a better option out there?

https://www.napoleon.com/en/uk/barbecues/rotisserie-grill-basket-64000

https://www.weber.com/GB/en/accessories/accessories-by-category/weber-crafted/7686.html

I bought the Weber one back in June, only used it once so far for Wings (smoked on the Smokefire first and crisped up on the Genesis 335s) paid £39.94 at WOWBBQ at the time for the basket, gone back up now.

Pleased with it and cleans up well enough in the dishwasher and is quite big in capacity. need to look at get more use out of it though in the long term

Couple of pictures of it on the Genesis with the rotisserie, if it helps

50342032-dO5Fa.jpg

50342032-hNzWH.jpg

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sotv said:

I bought the Weber one back in June, only used it once so far for Wings (smoked on the Smokefire first and crisped up on the Genesis 335s) paid £39.94 at WOWBBQ at the time for the basket, gone back up now.

Pleased with it and cleans up well enough in the dishwasher and is quite big in capacity. need to look at get more use out of it though in the long term

Couple of pictures of it on the Genesis with the rotisserie, if it helps

50342032-dO5Fa.jpg

50342032-hNzWH.jpg

That's perfect appreciate the pics. I have got a Napoleon BBQ so is it sacrilege to put a Weber branded product on it? 😉

1 hour ago, AdamG said:

I still have not got round to getting one of these yet.

At first glance the weber looks like a solid choice. It clamps shut at both ends rather than just the middle. It looks like it has a stronger frame and it comes with the divider. My only concern would be the mesh breaking away from the frame....but that is based on previous items I have had (and not all of those broke)

Yeah good point with the mesh. One of the situations where if they were both £30/£40 I'd get both but not @ £70ish each 

1 hour ago, carl123uk said:

Yeah good point with the mesh. One of the situations where if they were both £30/£40 I'd get both but not @ £70ish each 

Looking at the pics that @sotv posted, It looks like it is fastened into the frame rather than just going to the frame (like alot of things with similar style mesh). This would suggest that it shouldnt be a problem since it is going to be stronger.