Brisket over 2 days

Jam

I would really like to bbq for my friends one afternoon (3pmish) ideally a brisket and some ribs. I’ve read about the 3-2-1 method for ribs and the option to do the 3 &2 one day putting them back on for 1 hr on the day of eating. My question is can I do this with brisket?? Can I smoke the brisket say in the Friday then put it back on smoker before eating ? I have read about oven to finish but really want the bbq smells. 

any advise on this would be great thanks 

Edited by Jam

Hi Jam,

I think you would be basically reheating them and any leftovers would need to be thrown out? I have only reheated cooked food once as I was told by my parents to not reheat twice (i have no qualifications in food safety, so I could be wrong).

Personally I would cook them in one session, when to start would be dependant on what size your brisket would be and your desired cooking temperature.

Personally, I wouldn't. You're allowing the meat to cool and then re-heat slowly. That's a breeding ground for nasties.

What I do is fully cook the brisket, eat till we are about to pop and then portion the remainder. I vacuum seal these portions whilst still hot and freeze them as soon as possible. Reheat by nuking them in a microwave, still in the vac packs. They turn out beautifully...probably even tastier than on the first day.

9 minutes ago, The Chairmaker said:

Personally, I wouldn't. You're allowing the meat to cool and then re-heat slowly. That's a breeding ground for nasties.

What I do is fully cook the brisket, eat till we are about to pop and then portion the remainder. I vacuum seal these portions whilst still hot and freeze them as soon as possible. Reheat by nuking them in a microwave, still in the vac packs. They turn out beautifully...probably even tastier than on the first day.

Never tried nuking leftovers still in the vac packs, may have to try that.😁

The reason I’m wanting to split the cook is time, to eat at 3pm I’d have to be up in the middle of the night to cook. Any tips on what I could smoke if I started at say 7am but wanted to eat at 3/4pm? 

Ribs are good for this, you could use the 3-2-1 method and aim to get them on the grill for 8am (225f - 250f temp). 6 hour cook with a 1 hour rest and an hour or so extra just in case they take longer than expected.

If your comfortable with overnight cooks (how much faith you have in your grill that is) then a big brisket could be an option, I would normally aim to put it on the grill on a Friday night about 11pm so it would finish at about Saturday 2pm + resting time depending on weight.

Edited by AdamG
  • Like 1

I suppose that depends on wether Jam wants them with a bit of bite or 'fall of the bone'. Personally I would say how much meat is on the ribs, cooking temperature and what you wrap them in will are bigger factors on the finish than time.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jam said:

Any tips on what I could smoke if I started at say 7am but wanted to eat at 3/4pm? 

Pork ribs. Short ribs. Flanken cut ribs. Pork belly. Leg of lamb. Brisket Point end. Rib roast.

The skies the limit really. The only limitation will be the meats that you can get and your imagination.