BBQ Mates BM S-2 vs BM S-3

The URS

Hey guys, this will be my first post in the forum. I started offset smoking a year ago with a cheap Landmann offset smoker that I have outgrown. I need something next level for my home use and progressing my skills with.

I am based in the EU and therefore the options are very slim for a great smoker, I do not want under any circumstances to pay import taxes for a purchase outside of the EU. Basically I have to chose between BM (BBQ Mates) and Nette Lette, and I chose BM after some research and reading, not that Nette Lette is bad but I like the BM designs better.

My 2 options are:

BM S-3: https://www.bm-bbq.eu/product/bm-s-3-offset-smoker-grill-2/

and

BM S-2: https://www.bm-bbq.eu/product/bm-s-2-offset-smoker/

BM S-3 advantages:

- cheaper

- has the hotplate

- optionally you can add an insulated firebox 

Disadvantages:

- extra money for insulated firebox

- has thinner metal (5mm vs 6.5mm)

BM S-2:

- More room to cook (negligible more)

- thicker metal (6.5mm vs 5mm)

- has default insulated box but not hotplate

- has the wide exhaust the length of the cooking grate which I've read it makes for better heat distribution

Disadvantages:

- More expensive

- Shipment will be more expensive (twice the weight as S-3)

My thoughts:

- I would go for the S-2 even though the S-3 is way cheaper but I don't want my choice to be reasonless and just based on some faulty perception

- An insulated firebox isn't something I truly want, I don't cook in low temperatures. I've also read that an uninsulated firebox gives better flavor (marginally) and that fuel consumption isn't that much reduced. 

- The hotplate also isn't something that I truly want, but most likely I will use it if I have it (if it gets to a proper temperature that can sear a stake well)

My questions:

1) Is the metal thickness difference really a big problem (5mm vs 6.5mm)? I know the theory, thicker the better, harder to heat but less temperature fluctuations and warping but really, is there a real life application difference

2) Is an insulated firebox that necessary? Will it make such a big difference? I've seen lots of people swear by them and lots of people not giving 1c about them.

3) For those who uses any of the above mentioned smokers, which one is better when it comes to heat management, flavor and overall satisfaction with the product?

4) Would there be another option for an Offset Smoker with the same quality build and features in the EU but cheaper price?

Thanks a lot guys!

Welcome to the Forum URS.

The steel thickness in my opinion is not going to make that much difference.

Insulated v’s Uninsulated, there is going to be a performance/fuel efficiency difference, but is it worth the extra money?

You may not be aware that the BM range is not actually manufactured here in the UK, but I think they are made in somewhere like Lithuania. Neri Ckas is the man, drop him a message and see if he can deliver to you (not sure where you are based) he also has a BBQ Shop in Spain.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Welcome to the Forum URS.

The steel thickness in my opinion is not going to make that much difference.

Insulated v’s Uninsulated, there is going to be a performance/fuel efficiency difference, but is it worth the extra money?

You may not be aware that the BM range is not actually manufactured here in the UK, but I think they are made in somewhere like Lithuania. Neri Ckas is the man, drop him a message and see if he can deliver to you (not sure where you are based) he also has a BBQ Shop in Spain.

Hey thanks for the reply. Already spoke with Neri, the smoker will be delivered from Spain. The question is which one :)

Wanted a second opinion to make a final decision.

• Like 1

Hi if money isn't an issue I'd go for the S2. Mainly because the bigger cooking capacity but also the wheels. It looks like it has a couple of heavier duty wheels that may make it easier to move around if needed. The hot plate can be added later such as laying  cast iron grate over the firebox (I'd do it inside). plus it's in stock so you'd at least get it quicker

I'm not sure about other brands. But it might be worth speaking to a metal fabrication company as they might be able to do one cheaper without any import costs. Plus can get it to your specs.