What's the best Pellet Smoker on the market

Smokin Monkey

• 3 weeks later...

Long gone are the days when I first used a pellet Smoker (over 14 years ago).  We have quite a few to choose from these days ... I still love Fast Eddy by Cookshack, that was my first.  But I've also used GMG, Traeger and Louisiana.  Yet to try Yoder, but they look good too from a quality build point.  

• Like 1

There are a number of pellet smokers on the market for less than £400, but because "best" is kinda subjective and different people may want different things from their pellet smoker. Some things to thing about, though:

• Versatility: What's the temperature range; is it realistically capable of grilling as well as smoke-cooking, roasting, baking?
  • Usability: Will you be able to cook efficiently in winter/cold weather?
  • Control: Contrary to popular belief, pellet smokers don't do 'everything' for the user - what they do do well is wood management, e.g. you don't have to get up at 4.00am during an overnight smoke to check fuel/add wood. But beyond that, does the control system allow you to pre-set different cooking temperature stages?
  • Build: Total weight is a reasonable indicator of steel thickness.  But is the weight in the right places, e.g. body/lid, as opposed to legs/wheels?
  • Track Record: Have any major competitions been won using the particular pellet grill?

AmazingRibs.com undertake independent, expert product reviews, so it could be worth checking out their pellet smoker/grill review section.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I'm currently using the GMG Daniel Boone and I think its a great pellet smoker. Large cooking area, great temp control, built in wi-fi,  app controlled, easy to use

The only con I have is that I have to use a smoke tube with extra pellets to give a better smoke flavour as I find it no so strong when used without one. But that might just be me

Plus since the launch of the GMG app I can set up a pre set for different cooking times & temps and how long each preset temp will run for. So very easy for overnight smokes

I would highly recommend one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GlasgowSmoke said:

The only con I have is that I have to use a smoke tube with extra pellets to give a better smoke flavour as I find it no so strong when used without one. But that might just be me.

That is a common observation when using pellet smokers. The pellets burn so efficiently that a lower mass of pellets are usually burned than charcoal/wood burned in other smokers, creating relatively less overall smoke flavour. It is all relative though and depends on the depth of smoke that you like - over/under smoked to some will be a perfect smoke to others. The addition of a smoke tube is quite a common solution (I use one in my Fast Eddie sometimes and also in my Davy Crockett). I find that the difference in smoke flavour is more noticeable on shorter hot smokes than on the longer cooler smokes.

• 5 months later...

Not wishing to start a new thread and covering old ground, but interested in the idea of a pellet smoker, are there any recommendations of entry level pellet smokers? I've seen Wade's Davy Crockett which is great and I'm very tempted to save and get one but are there any other options that offer similar levels of control (ie wifi and app controlled) but that are cheaper?

It will depend on the size that you want. The Davy Crockett I have is a good little smoker but the cooking space can be a little limiting. All of the GMG range seem good though and people I have met who has owned one have recommended them.

Only really looking for something small, more so I can just sticka joint on and leave it safe in the knowledge that it's doing it's thing while I'm pottering about.

At some point I'll add one to my collection I'm sure, until then I may just have to concentrate on getting the best out of my Qmaster Lite to make it more reliable and accurate.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After a little research, I found one of the recurring negative comments associated with pellet grilling was their lack of smoke flavour. That’s why I went for the Traeger Timberline. It’s ‘Supersmoke’ setting commands the fan to blow sporadically, inefficiently and allows more of the smoke generated to stay in the chamber for longer. This setting or similar would be my most important feature of buying another pellet smoker in the future.