DIY Heat Deflector Ideas?

JB.1981

I picked up a cake tin at the supermarket for £2 and put three bolts through the side.  This rests on top of the firebowl and the grate rests on top of this.  It seems to be working well so far and it doubles up as a bowl for adding water to.  

Curious to see what others are using as one drawback is that it raises the cooking surface thus reducing space for bigger cuts.  Yesterday I had to move the brisket around a bit to stop the built-in thermometer poking the meat when I shut the lid!

IMG-5557.jpg

IMG-5558.jpg

IMG-5621.jpg

Edited by JB.1981

• JB.1981 changed the title to DIY Heat Deflector Ideas?
15 minutes ago, The Chairmaker said:

Be cautious if that's Teflon coated. Teflon decomposes to some very nasty compounds if over-heated (above 250C)

Good info, thanks chairmaker! I had assumed it'd be ok for slow and low as I don't hit temps anywhere near that, but on second thought, it must get there or above if it's practically touching the coals, despite what the dome thermometer might say.

Any decent Diy alternatives? A bit reluctant to shell out for an eBay one at roughly half the price of the kamado itself!

50 minutes ago, The Chairmaker said:

That one does look good.  Would that not just completely eclipse the firebowl though - altering airflow?  I posted a new topic to get feedback on a steel one I just spotted on ebay.  The ebay reviews mention the Lidl mini in a couple of instances but I'm still not sure which of the three versions to go for.  I like the steel as well as it wouldn't break when I (inevitably) drop it!

1 minute ago, JB.1981 said:

That one does look good.  Would that not just completely eclipse the firebowl though - altering airflow?  I posted a new topic to get feedback on a steel one I just spotted on ebay.  The ebay reviews mention the Lidl mini in a couple of instances but I'm still not sure which of the three versions to go for.  I like the steel as well as it wouldn't break when I (inevitably) drop it!

You'd need to raise it up an inch or two.

• Like 1