Cooking With A Tagine On A Grill, Anyone Own One Or Tried It Before?

sotv

Thinking about investing in a Tagine for my Pellet Grill. Ruled out the ceramic based ones and looking at one with a cast iron base with a ceramic cone as I think it would be better suited for a grill and could still be used in an oven indoors. Item dimensions are L x W x H 27 x 27 x 21 centimetres, I realise liquid is a factor, but how many could I expect to feed with something this size

Anyone any experience of doing this sort of cooking outdoors and is it a worthwhile investment? as looking at just shy of £45 for this one by Napoleon. But I've always enjoyed it as a meal at restaurants but never owned a Tagine before.

Thanks

Edited by sotv

• sotv changed the title to Cooking With A Tagine On A Grill, Anyone Own One Or Tried It Before?
13 hours ago, Icefever said:

We use one, they are brilliant, this is the one cast iron base, stoneware lid....https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PFF28CX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No stock at the mo,  it feeds 4 easy not used on the smoker but will in time...the Nelson looks ok.

Ice.

Thanks for the reply Ice, do you know how much you paid for yours? If £45 seems a fair price, think I'll pull the trigger on the Napoleon one I found. 

Did you find much liquid came out the top or do you cover the hole?, just wondering if putting it in drip tray during cooking is worthwhile to save any possible mess, if it does.

I think that link I posted was about £70 mate....it's a 2.5 litre, holds more than enough juice, this lid is solid as it should be because the steam falls back into the pan as it's suppose too.

The lids with the holes (as far as I understand) you place a lemon or onion or whatever to part seal and that helps to flavour the dish.

Ice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chairmaker said:

Ive used a ceramic tagine on my Kamado before. Its a bit irrelevant TBH as the tagine prevents much in the way of smoke flavour getting to the contents. Might as well bung it in the oven!

Yes if cooking it as an individual dish, I would most likely use it in the oven, but i have an upright spike that I cook Tacos Al Pastor or Shawarma regularly  on my grill and only use half of the grill to do that. So if I'm doing that and I have guests round use the other half for a Tagine, Smoking the lamb or chicken separately on Smokeboost first, then cooking it as normal in the tagine alongside the spike on the grill, to offer a bit of choice to everyone as tortillas or flatbreads will be served with the spike dish also.

My only concern is the spike needs to be done at around 400F (could drop it to 350F) which maybe a little hot to do a tagine cook really?

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1