How to get started

Locky

Hi, 

I'm really keen to get a Kamado, but finding it hard to justify the initial outlay. The Aldi egg looks just what I need, especially as it comes with a stand, but as demand looks like a lot higher than supply I'm not convinced that I'll manage to get hold of one. 

I've seen on some other posts that people have got them from Alibaba, but then they didn't come with any accessories or deflectors. 

What should my plan B be in the likely event that I don't manage to get hold of one of the Aldi ones? 

Thanks 

Hi I think the Aldi ones are going on sale again in May. It depends on your budget. Costco have a  Louisiana Grills Kamado that is out of stock but might possibly come in as the summer draws closer. Lidl normally sell a smaller Kamado for about £80. I bought it a couple years ago and use it regularly. 

Does it have to be a Kamado? Could you settle for a Kettle or Bullet smoker the now? You may pick up a Kamado 2nd hand towards the end of BBQ season. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Aldi released a few this morning and i managed to bag one, very excited. 

So my next quest, learning how to use the thing. What are peoples top tips for a novice? Are there any particularly good books or websites i should be paying attention to? 

I'd say don't sweat an exact temp. Aim for 110c/225f-130c/275 ish depending on food etc. Also cook to internal temp not time. Get an instant read probe and if you can get a leave in. That way you know what the meats doing without looking. 

Pork shoulder is a great starter cook (On the smaller weight) or Chicken.  I'd also throw in sausages as a great place to start, get a lovely smoke ring and can be done 60-90 mins depending on size/temp. 

Kamado Guru has lots of great advice but of course theres plenty here plus you get the better British banter 😄

• Like 1

Since you mentioned books, I highly recommend 'Hot Coals'. This is what I used when I first started out (and still consult once in a while) and i believed it helped me learn more quickly. Be aware that all the info is available all over the web but its great to have it all to hand. It also helps you to understand how they work and helps get you into a methodical way of using them👍

Edited by AdamG
spelling

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mighty1968 said:

Did they collect the Broken one or leave it with you?

They arranged collection, took all the old packaging and even refunded the original delivery, which I wasn't expecting to be honest. A good service. 

First cook tonight, just some sausages to test things out 

16 hours ago, Locky said:

They arranged collection, took all the old packaging and even refunded the original delivery, which I wasn't expecting to be honest. A good service. 

First cook tonight, just some sausages to test things out 

That's good of them as it might have been a pain to get rid of though it might have been good to have as spare parts. Hope your first cook went well. I order one on Wednesday and it is being delivered tomorrow. Can't wait to have a go myself.