New member from Kent

Eddie

Hi All,

My name is Ed and I'm a complete beginner to home curing and smoking. My day job is as a tax advisor, so to counteract the monotony of tax I've taken up a lot of hobbies ranging from carpentry to homemade pizza.

I've purchased a copy of River Cottage smoking and curing and purchased a massive sack of salt, still on the search for hooks etc.

Once I have the basics nailed I'm looking at a cold smoker, possibly a ProQ one and building a wooden smoke shack.

I'm also looking further down the line at making salami and hams.

I'm excited to get started and I'm sure it will be a great learning experience. 

• Like 2

Pork belly being picked up tomorrow and giving the River Cottage salt and sugar only curing a go. Although I'm a little nervous about avoiding nasty bacteria as I can see most cure using nitrates.

Amy recommended meat hooks?

Edited by Eddie
Typo

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

Pork belly being picked up tomorrow and giving the River Cottage salt and sugar only curing a go. Although I'm a little nervous about avoiding nasty bacteria as I can see moat cure using nitrates.

Amy recommended meat hooks?

I've been curing our bacon for about 3 years now, I've seen the River cottage video, but @Wade got me started back at the begining using nitrates and I've never looked back. I've never once thought about any problems with bacteria...so far so good.👍

Ice.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 7:45 AM, Wade said:

Weschenfelder are a good source of bacon/sausage making bits and pieces. They have hooks of all different shapes and sizes.

https://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/butchers-sundries/hooks-gambrels/1-box-of-10-meat-hooks-by-fischer-bargoin-14cm.html

I'll second that. A mate (not on any of these forums) put me on to them. He runs an artisan sausage business as a hobby thing. He is an Theoretic Physics man and teaches.

I've used the Weschenfelder Haggis kit and it turned out really well. Down to my last Haggis out of the 7 I got from a  single Pluck.

Ele.

• Like 1