Billowing white smoke proq frontier

Korin

Hey guys,

in need of some advice. I’m struggling to get the white smoke to die down on my frontier.

im using heat beads and using the minion method. I’ve used a chimney half full to start and as soon as I’ve put the hot coals in the basket and stacked it all up I’m getting loads of white smoke for the last 40 mins. 

it doesn’t seem to be reducing and there isn’t any wood in the basket yet.

any ideas?? 

5 hours ago, Korin said:

Hey guys,

in need of some advice. I’m struggling to get the white smoke to die down on my frontier.

im using heat beads and using the minion method. I’ve used a chimney half full to start and as soon as I’ve put the hot coals in the basket and stacked it all up I’m getting loads of white smoke for the last 40 mins. 

it doesn’t seem to be reducing and there isn’t any wood in the basket yet.

any ideas?? 

Maybe wet beads?

44 minutes ago, Ripple said:

Maybe wet beads?

Literally only just bought them from the range today. Could it be because it’s still relatively cold outside, UK,Manchester today it’s been 6 Celsius for the majority of the day? 

4 hours ago, Icefever said:

I use heat beads and I never see white smoke??? in fact I've used them today to cook ribs.  how old is the Proq??  and the beads??

Ice.

Hi ice,

proq is 5 days old, it was the second burn with it today. Heat beads were brand new too.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, today I’m using sand instead of water and there seems to be a lot less white smoke! 

It may have been the water steaming last time.

although now I’m struggling to keep it under 300 😂 ahh to work a pit ay!

image.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Korin said:

although now I’m struggling to keep it under 300 😂 ahh to work a pit ay!

That could be because you may have started off with too many lit coals and it overshot. It is harder to bring the temperature back down than it is to raise it.

If you completely close the bottom vents does the temperature begin to drop? It may take a few minutes to see any effect. With the vents fully closed the temperature should continue to reduce until the charcoal almost goes out.

If the temperature does not start to decrease with the vents closed then the vents may not be sealing sufficiently. If that is the case apply a little high temperature grease between the body and vent cover to help seal.

17 hours ago, Wade said:

That could be because you may have started off with too many lit coals and it overshot. It is harder to bring the temperature back down than it is to raise it.

If you completely close the bottom vents does the temperature begin to drop? It may take a few minutes to see any effect. With the vents fully closed the temperature should continue to reduce until the charcoal almost goes out.

If the temperature does not start to decrease with the vents closed then the vents may not be sealing sufficiently. If that is the case apply a little high temperature grease between the body and vent cover to help seal.

Thanks Wade. 
I managed to get it down by playin with the vents and a aerate around 250/260

its currently jumper to 270 now but hopping to get it down again.