I did it

Big joe

Hi everyone,

I managed too do my first ever proper cook today , it was only a spatchcock chicken on a second hand kettle but it was my first go at proper bbq,

I was so pleased with the results and so were the kids, it all got eaten so it must of been good 

I used big k lumpwood charcoal , just over a chimney full , I managed too keep the temp over the chicken around a steady 275-300 which I achieved, first time at trying too regulate temp,

The cook time was approx 2hr 

A big thank you too @Icefeverfor the help and advice 

I'm buzzing

20210224_191501.jpg

20210224_191508.jpg

20210224_195051.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

You'll see & read about doing the 3=2=1 method on ribs...don't stick to this,it's not written in stone. Over time you'll come up with what suits you. I go for 2-1.5-1.5 that works for us. Most of the guys have their own timings on ribs.

You had rain today?? was the BBQ out in the rain??  if it was you did a great job.....I setup my smoker under the garage door if it starts to rain.

Ice.

yeah, bbq was in the back yard ,only got a small terraced house,

we had showers on and off , it was a bit scary, i was in and out the house checking the temp to make sure it wasnt fluctuating too much,

ive watched a few vids online and noticed quite a few people mentioning too only use the 3 2 1 as a guide,

im going o use the big k briqquettes tomorrow 

fingers crossed 🤞

• Like 1

Yeah, 3-2-1 is just a guide, there’s too many variables unless you can fix your temp exactly. You have to go by look. I’ve had ribs where I’ve foiled too early and they’ve gone too mushy for them to properly caramelise for the final hour and other attempts where 3 hours is too much and the bark is already over where I’d want it to be. It’s trial and error before you understand your equipment and preferences, much like my Uni days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1