SmartFire Review

Smokin Monkey

Hi Sargan, 

Although the original review was by @Smokin Monkey, there are a number of Smartfire owners on the forum now. If you don't mind, i can answer some of your questions. 

43 minutes ago, Sargan said:

.. did you feedback to ProQ on lack off bayonet fitting ? If so what did they suggest .... must point to the fan being made for something else.

The Smartfire official adaptor doesn't have the bayonet pins. I personally have always found that the unit fits snuggly enough into the adaptor and have never worried that it might slip out. 

45 minutes ago, Sargan said:

Does the fan modulate, or is it just on/off

It modulates. Anything from 0% to 100% speed. 

46 minutes ago, Sargan said:

Did you get any response regarding the 10min open lid delay. (Seems poor, and should be adjustable)

Open lid mode is enabled by default and is a good idea in most cases. It can be disabled permanently, made less or more sensitive. If you use the web app rather than a mobile app, you can also temporarily disable it during a cook. This functionality is being worked on currently for the mobile apps. The app has been upgraded regularly and the Smartfire developers are very responsive to issues raised. They are very publicly available and engage well with the users via a Facebook group.

If you are considering a Smartfire, there are plenty of us around that can share our experiences. 

Thanks, Phil. 

• Like 1

Thanks for comments .... bit undecided which way to.go .... SmartFire or a simple PID controller.    I do prefer a modulating controller approach, just need to get my head around it being 10x the price.

On the ‘Lid open’ function, I agree it’s a good feature, it’s just that a 10min delay to restart control does not makes sense ... maybe there should be a simple ‘re-engage’ option on the App.    No change to set temp or other options, just a way to tell controller lid is closed - get going again.

Are there any other modulating controllers to consider, I did come across a Raspberry Pi variant, but that it quite complex to build.

Edited by Sargan

6 hours ago, Sargan said:

On the ‘Lid open’ function, I agree it’s a good feature, it’s just that a 10min delay to restart control does not makes sense ... maybe there should be a simple ‘re-engage’ option on the App.    No change to set temp or other options, just a way to tell controller lid is closed - get going again.

So the logic behind the lid open mode is along the lines of, because the lid is open, the fire has access to unlimited oxygen. As a result, if the fan started again immediately, the fire would build to be too hot and your pit temp will overshoot. Other controllers without lid open mode do exactly this it seems. 

All pits are different but it seems to take nearly 10 mins for my ProQ to balance out after a lid open event. It is sometimes quicker and if the lid was not off for too long, the fire doesn't build back too strongly. It then seems to take a while to build back the set temp. But you are often within 20-30F of set temp during this time, so your cook is not greatly affected. The main point, it is there to stop unwanted temp spikes. If you see the temp levelling out much lower, just go in and disable lid open mode.

6 hours ago, Sargan said:

Are there any other modulating controllers to consider, I did come across a Raspberry Pi variant, but that it quite complex to build.

There are lots of DIY options, from Raspberry PI, Arduino etc to dedicated PID controllers (Google the 'hoare blower' for an example).

There were two features of Smartfire that stood out for me.

1) It is powered from a standard USB battery pack. I have no mains near my kit and do not want an extension lead outside with british weather.

2) The Smartfire connects to your home wifi and then is controlled and stores results in the cloud. Your app or web browser talks to the cloud rather than the device itself. This means you can go out and do things. As long as you have mobile data or a wifi signal where you are, you can monitor, get alerts and adjust things remotely. 

Worth remembering, Macs BBQ are members here and provide a 10% discount code for us to use. 

Cheers, Phil.

8 hours ago, Phlashster said:

So the logic behind the lid open mode is along the lines of, because the lid is open, the fire has access to unlimited oxygen. As a result, if the fan started again immediately, the fire would build to be too hot and your pit temp will overshoot. Other controllers without lid open mode do exactly this it seems. 

All pits are different but it seems to take nearly 10 mins for my ProQ to balance out after a lid open event. It is sometimes quicker and if the lid was not off for too long, the fire doesn't build back too strongly. It then seems to take a while to build back the set temp. But you are often within 20-30F of set temp during this time, so your cook is not greatly affected. The main point, it is there to stop unwanted temp spikes. If you see the temp levelling out much lower, just go in and disable lid open mode.

There are lots of DIY options, from Raspberry PI, Arduino etc to dedicated PID controllers (Google the 'hoare blower' for an example).

There were two features of Smartfire that stood out for me.

1) It is powered from a standard USB battery pack. I have no mains near my kit and do not want an extension lead outside with british weather.

2) The Smartfire connects to your home wifi and then is controlled and stores results in the cloud. Your app or web browser talks to the cloud rather than the device itself. This means you can go out and do things. As long as you have mobile data or a wifi signal where you are, you can monitor, get alerts and adjust things remotely. 

Worth remembering, Macs BBQ are members here and provide a 10% discount code for us to use. 

Cheers, Phil.

Thanks Phil ....... I like the modulating fan approach, its correct way to use a fan in this role.

I looked at 'Raspberry Pi'  model, and think the learning curve to build it a bit too high for this one off.      Looking around at what my options are - yes I'd like the SmartFire - but its £249.95 a lot of money, and not sure I can justify that spend for amount I use smoker.   I have looked at this for example .... £190 cheaper.       https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252226109850

Accept it does not monitor meat temp - but I alreday have a ThermoPro twin probe thermometer for that.

I also looked at PartyQ - again less than 1/2 price of Smartfire.   https://www.bbqguru.com/storenav?CategoryId=1&ProductId=34

If Smartfire were cheaper  - I'd not hesitate to buy, but willing to consider other options if anybody has any to suggest.

Digging further into my need for a temperature controller.

The ProQ web site only lists the Wireless variant at £250 ...... which is too  much for me.

However the SmartFire web site lists only Wired versions  (not wireless) .....  but the "Super Summer Smartfire Controller kit"   is a justifiable spend at £139

• Are these the same software (excl wirleless part) ..... same control, same features ?
  • Can wireless probes be added in future if required ?
  • Is this a modulating fan rather than just  on/off

After comment about discount ... would 10% discount apply to "Super Summer Smartfire Controller kit"   ... if so anybody know how I activate/order.

I

Edited by Sargan

Hi Sargan,

Do you mean this? https://smartfirebbq.com/products/smartfire-controller-super-summer-pack 

If so, this is about £185 plus taxes and import duty. And a 7-14 day wait for it to ship from Australia. (I did this, as they were not sold in the UK when i purchased mine)

They are the same product. None of the probes are wireless. They all need to be plugged into the orange box which is the electronics and the fan.

They only offer one model of unit. The summer pack includes the protective case, winders and all 4 probes for about £10 more than the base unit. This the same as the Macs BBQ offer. 

Phil.

16 minutes ago, Sargan said:

That is the one .... they are selling for £139 including shipping.

hence my interest.

can you add wireless probes in future or is it wired only.

OK, you have got me confused. It clearly shows the price at £185 on the website. But remember the additional taxes and import duties you need to pay when it arrive sin the UK.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.cdb00ba809ceedbc8284345daa6d35ac.jpg

There are no wireless probes available just now.

Some users have requested as a future feature, integration with Meater wireless temperature probes. That is not to say it will ever happen! 

Phil.

2 hours ago, Sargan said:

On the web site I'm looking at the price is shown clearly at £139.75  see pic, and the leader page says free Intl shipping.

Screenshot 2019-12-31 at 18.34.06.png

I assume you have the USD currency selected in drop down menu? as it does show that price in GBP, but if I add it to the basket it shows the full price $262. Which when converted is closer to £200 and when you add import duties, VAT and clearance fees it will take the price to the equivalent of buying it in the UK and of course you have the potential costs of returning it, if it goes wrong.

If your basket shows the  price you can see, go for it. If not and you really want one, I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and buy it in the UK and use the 10% off code or hope someone sells one second hand in the coming months.

I have put a request out to SmartFire ..... I would like to buy for price adverttised .... would apply as per Trade Descripions Act if it was UK company.

Happy to buy at that price but not at £250      ... would get a standard pit controller for £60 instead.

Lets hope I'm lucky

• 8 months later...
On 2/22/2018 at 2:25 PM, valve90210 said:

Great review Steve, I look forward to more info once you've done more testing.

I like the sound of the lid open sensor as that;s one thing that cause me a real headache with the Qmasterlite on my kettle. As soon as I open the lid the temp drops and the fan starts. Of course, the coals are still in a state whereby they're giving me the temperature I want  so it will get back up to temperature without a bother once the lid is back on. However because the controller has the fan going  the coals end up getting too hot and my temperature overshoots considerably, so much so that I've thought about creating a manual switch so when I open the lid I can manually switch the fan off for a few minutes to allow the temperature to get where it was before the lid was open.

Maybe the smartfire would be better if it was possible to adjust the length of time the fan was idle after a lid removal?

Hey all, old thread, I know. But for those who haven’t got the Smartfire yet, ProQ have taken £75 off the price while stocks last. The discount comes off after you Add To Basket

• Like 1

The adaptor does not even remotely line up with the holes the vents cover on the small wsm. I have been searching for videos showing how the adaptor provided fits, there is lots of people drilling new holes and fillings out the vents but they are all on big wsms.

I am in touch with proq and have sent them some photos of adaptor and how it does to line up or fit with the 14.5 inch wsm.

Hi Justin,

Is THIS the universal adaptor your using with the Smartfire & a Weber WSM? 

Looking at it I would have thought you should need to modify the Weber or ProQ to make it fit. In the image it's fitted to a later ProQ with the daisy wheel in place. I'd have thought & stand to be corrected that it's a case of lineing the vent on the daisy wheel to fully open, place the bolt through one open hole, then align the machined stainless tube with another hole & tight in place with the big washer & wing nut to hold it all in place.

However, if it was me I would probably remove the daisy wheel from the smoker. If it's riveted drill it out as Ice suggested. TBH, The rivets will work loose over time & a stainless bolt with a spring behind it will work much better to hold the daisy wheel in place yet still allow it to be opened & closed with ease. I'd then remove the stainless machined tube from the cake tin & secure this directly to the smoker through one of the holes. The remaining holes I'd seal with heat resistant aluminium tape.

Cheers n Gone Nick

• Like 1