SmartFire Review

Smokin Monkey

1 hour ago, valve90210 said:

Oops, just accidentally ordered one of these...I'm sure I'll find the money somewhere.... lol. 

Congrats on your purchase, sure you will see some benefits from it. What piece of kit you fitting it to?

1 hour ago, valve90210 said:

Thanks. I think I'll probably most likely be using it on my callow (1st gen). I intend to get sand for the water bowl as well to give a good heat sink to iron out spikes in the temps. 

I got that problem with water and briquettes, less so with lumpwood on my first go. Will be interested in how you got on and if successful will look at sand also.

It is a big investment, but evidently you can buy just an adaptor if you change to another brand of smoker, so that will be good if I ever changed my smoker.

• Like 1

I don't generally have too much of a problem with temp spikes in the Callow, but my past experience with the QMaster Lite gave me some horrible spikes when the fan had been going, I'm hoping this controller will be a bit more intelligent (especially with the lid open detection feature) and combined with the sand will give me nice stable controllable temps when I want to be smoking but also need to be getting on with things around the house. 

As you say it''s a pricey bit of kit but one that can be moved from smoker to smoker  so with some care should be worth the money. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, valve90210 said:

Oops, just accidentally ordered one of these...I'm sure I'll find the money somewhere.... lol. 

Nice one @valve90210. We will soon have enough Smartfire users here to setup a UK support group. 😊

Just out of interest, did you order direct from Aus or via Pro Q (Macs BBQ) in the UK?

If you have any questions you think we can help with, please do not hesitate to ask. 

Phil.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Phlashster said:

Sounds like you are done then. 

Nice. 

Phil.

Emailed macsbbq about the update and checking what firmware you are on and got this reply

Hi Steve,

It’s the same update, we just sent it out a bit early. The only way to check is through Smartfire support, although I’ve requested this to be added to the app.

Kind Regards,

TY

So looks like I am up to date and a way of checking what firmware you are on or if an update is available may be in the offing.

Edited by sotv

On 6/25/2019 at 9:38 AM, valve90210 said:

I ordered it from Macs BBQ purely for ease and certainty of price with no customs costs to worry about. 

It's due to be delivered to me today. :)

I hope to be able to give it a test before Billing!

I've just done the same,  should be here by Friday hope so then I can have a play with it over the weekend.....m0155.gif  cost also the same as the frontier m1216.gif   don't tell the piggy bank, it knows nothing at the moment.

Ice.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Icefever said:

I've just done the same,  should be here by Friday hope so then I can have a play with it over the weekend.....m0155.gif  cost also the same as the frontier m1216.gif   don't tell the piggy bank, it knows nothing at the moment.

Ice.

Congrats on your purchase, sounds like you must have been at your persuasive best with Mrs ice. As @Phlashster said definitely be able to start a UK support group soon at this rate.

We will all be able to go through the learning curve on how to use it together.

Hopefully there will be wi-fi coverage or a decent hotspot at Billing to be able to use them and not rely on being  20ft away via bluetooth

I must still have "it" ..... whatever "It" is....🤣😎

54 minutes ago, sotv said:

As @Phlashster said definitely be able to start a UK support group soon at this rate. 

That would be a very good idea,  I'm up for it, I'll join  :thumb1:

47 minutes ago, sotv said:

Hopefully there will be wi-fi coverage or a decent hotspot at Billing to be able to use them and not rely on being  20ft away via bluetooth

If you have (you should have)  wifi hotspot on your mobile,  Trigger that... lock onto the S-fire....should work??

Now I have to go back to the start of this thread and start reading it all over.

Ice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Icefever said:

.🤣😎

If you have (you should have)  wifi hotspot on your mobile,  Trigger that... lock onto the S-fire....should work??

I did read that you can use a mobile hotspot, but you can't run the app on the same device. I have not tried it myself. I have tried the app on my tablet, and it works fine. 

Phil.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phlashster said:

but you can't run the app on the same device.

You are correct mate, read somewhere on the net about this,  now it makes sense....the guy was on about using a 2nd phone?? maybe use the wifes??  :huh:

Just read this from you...:thumb1:

"The bluetooth is normally used to make the initial comms with the device and give it the wifi config, from then on everything is via wifi. Another approach is to use a phone as a mobile hotspot and then manage using another phone or tablet. (The app cant run on the same device as the hotspot)."

The Smartfire talks via wifi to the cloud. Your app or browser also talks to the cloud. They don't talk directly.

Ice.

Edited by Icefever
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 11:03 AM, Phlashster said:

I do this on my Pro Q Fontier.

The waterbowl is half filled with sand and foiled over, then a clay saucer foiled over placed on top. This catches the fat drips and i can just refoil this to cleanup.

You use less fuel and don't have to top up water every few hours, so longer cooks are more consistent with less intervention. Everyone misses a water top up at some point and get a nasty temp spike. Never happens with sand. 

I also use an offset minion method with the Smartfire. As the fire burns towards the oxygen source, and for low and slow the other 2 vents are closed or virtually closed, the fire burns towards the Smartfire. If you use central minion, you will have unburnt fuel. If you look at the picture below, I place a few lit cubes at the red star location. 

Phil. 

IMG_20190418_164134.jpg

It's good I'm re-reading this thread,  first off I'm going to use sand instead....the foil-covered plate is a good idea....(I use foil for the ash).
Like the idea of the burn towards the SF...so much to learn so little time...t1802.gif

Ice. m0155.gif

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Icefever said:

Ice.

Excellent stuff, I'm unfortunately away this weekend so won't get a chance to give it a try, it's just sitting there on my kitchen side taunting me at the moment!! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sotv said:

Might be worth moving this thread over to there? As a good source of information and starting point, for anyone going to look for hints and tips on it in the new section.

My thoughts,  maybe have the review as a sticky??

Ice.

• 1 month later...

Been talking to Mark at Smartfire and he says the new app should be out this Thursday, that will hopefully solve the Bluetooth problem on IOS phones and you shouldn't have to turn Bluetooth off on your phone, once new one installed. 🤞

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sotv said:

Been talking to Mark at Smartfire and he says the new app should be out this Thursday, that will hopefully solve the Bluetooth problem on IOS phones and you shouldn't have to turn Bluetooth off on your phone, once new one installed. 🤞

From what i have seen, Mark and the team are very proactive when issues arise and can usually get a fix out fairly quickly. 

Good to see.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Couple of Q’s ... did you feedback to ProQ on lack off bayonet fitting ? If so what did they suggest .... must point to the fan being made for something else.

Does the fan modulate, or is it just on/off

Did you get any response regarding the 10min open lid delay. (Seems poor, and should be adjustable)