Smokin Monkey

SmartFire Review

Great ideas on here and equally applicable to the wsm.  I think the cools in the basket of a wsm will have to be thought about and Wade's idea of light charcoal underneath and pile briquettes on top is a good idea, it is just a question of how much to light (the whole bottom or core of 6-10 briquettes in the middle and how much the blower will get to the lit briquettes. 

This brings the question of whether to leave channel through the briquettes to the lit ones at the bottom i.e. have an arc of briquettes on top and open channel to the lit ones at the bottom in the middle. Needs experimenting but I can see this would be an excellent addition to the swim and rely make it lot easier to use. Maybe with the sand or ceramic or clay beads in the bowl not water to provide heat sink. Any one tried this?

Or as Steve has done put the smartfire at the bottom which means drilling new hole and maybe raising the wsm higher up on a platform or doily, so it has clearance to fit. 

I can see why Steve sourced cheapo kettle with vent on the bottom. That is a good solution

12 minutes ago, Justin said:

Maybe with the sand or ceramic or clay beads in the bowl not water to provide heat sink. Any one tried this?

I do this on my Pro Q Fontier.

The waterbowl is half filled with sand and foiled over, then a clay saucer foiled over placed on top. This catches the fat drips and i can just refoil this to cleanup.

You use less fuel and don't have to top up water every few hours, so longer cooks are more consistent with less intervention. Everyone misses a water top up at some point and get a nasty temp spike. Never happens with sand. 

I also use an offset minion method with the Smartfire. As the fire burns towards the oxygen source, and for low and slow the other 2 vents are closed or virtually closed, the fire burns towards the Smartfire. If you use central minion, you will have unburnt fuel. If you look at the picture below, I place a few lit cubes at the red star location. 

Phil. 

IMG_20190418_164134.jpg

Excellent advice well explained. Thank you. My wsm is smaller too it  to so the basket is smaller and higher. 

Ok it is on my list. Have some other things to payoff like homebrew and fishing holiday expenses. It is on the list

Does is also work on bluetooth for when there is no wifi around like at tailgate?

1 minute ago, Justin said:

Does is also work on bluetooth for when there is no wifi around like at tailgate?

There is a way of using via Bluetooth only. I think this is still a bit unclear and i have never tried it. You lose all of the cloud benefits and wouldn't store history of cook etc i would imagine. 

The bluetooth is normally used to make the initial comms with the device and give it the wifi config, from then on everything is via wifi. Another approach is to use a phone as a mobile hotspot and then manage using another phone or tablet. (The app cant run on the same device as the hotspot).

The Smartfire talks via wifi to the cloud. Your app or browser also talks to the cloud. They don't talk directly.

If your phone crashes or you reboot your PC, the Smartfire is unaffected. It continues uploading to the cloud and when you next connect the app or browser you can see what has been going on.

So you aren't stuck to your home wifi during a cook. You can go out and use the app on your phone from anywhere you have mobile data signal. It's very powerful.

Phil.

Like the meater thermometer yes.  2 devices, pain in the arse but tailgates a few and far between so ok. Thanks mate

On 2/24/2018 at 10:12 AM, Smokin Monkey said:

This is the Powerbank I used. Two reasons for using this, 1, I all ready had it, as I run my iPad from it when on site. 2. It has the USB connection for the Smartfire Controller. So it’s a 5volt output.

362FBD81-71F1-4929-B893-2111CDBC8E3E.thumb.jpeg.4616c53596d897937639be3d227db5b2.jpeg

The Pen is to give you a idea of size.

A3354E98-E00D-4F2A-85A4-FAFF3E4A30FD.thumb.jpeg.cb433b232c85536b63e9fd05e4964630.jpeg

Link to Power Pack

Not sure what power supply is needed for ProQ? I have a QMaster Senior and Lite, which both run on 12 volts, so I have a battery from a Burglary Alarm to run these.

Yep a deep cycle battery is best use for something like this . Pity I stopped selling them 😂

Power consumption is very low. 

I have an Anker 20000mAh battery pack. On a 16H cook, less than a quarter used from memory.

From the website

• To determine what type of power bank you should get it's most useful to know how many hours continual use (without an available mains supply) you need. IE Cooking once for 15 hours and once for 5 hours a week you'd need about 20 hours supply.
  • Battery consumption appears to be 250mAH (250 milliamps per hour)
  • Power banks often vary their voltage when they are below 40% charged, this can cause the Smartfire to read temperatures erratically because the power supply is not consistent. You should get a battery that can supply double the amount of hours you require.  ie 20 hours * 2 - 40; 40 hours at 250mAH is ~10,000mAH so that's roughly the battery size we need.

Phil.

On 6/3/2019 at 5:01 PM, sotv said:

Thanks for that, it arrived about 30 minutes ago. I wont be fitting it for a couple of weeks, but looks easy enough to install from your pictures and  contents, I have seen. 

I may look at buying an Excel cover once I can see how my 2 year old cover fits as it may have shrunk a bit since buying it a couple of years ago.

Finally got it out of the box to do the firmware update and hope to use it for the first time the weekend.

Is there a way of checking in the settings to see if it has updated to the latest firmware. Got the lights flashing and pulsing etc. just can't find a way to see if it has updated properly to the latest version?

Hi @sotv

I haven't had a firmware upgrade yet. I know one is going to be released in the next few weeks.

If you are pulsing slowly cyan, you are all good. 

Phil.

18 minutes ago, Phlashster said:

I got that in a message from ProQ by email upon purchasing it. From the video it appears mine has updated. Hearing the blower/fan come on during update was a bit disconcerting, but the video has cleared that up for me. Would be nice to see somewhere in the programme menu to see what the current firmware is installed in it would be helpful. Just to confirm the update was successful.

Please be careful and follow the instructions in their post, as you can brick it evidently if you unplug it before it is finished

1 hour ago, sotv said:

Would be nice to see somewhere in the programme menu to see what the current firmware is installed in it would be helpful. Just to confirm the update was successful.

Yes, it would be reassuring. I didn't get an email, bit the post did say mid week so I guess they are on schedule.

I will plug mine in when I get home on Thursday. 

Phil.