Starting out

The Bandit

as in Smoky and......

Hi all.

Arrived here via serching for info about cold smoking. I have a general interest in cooking and watched a Nadiya Hussain tv programme a while back where she used a ProQ smoke generator in a cardboard box to do some cold smoking, thus the seed was sown.

Moving on a couple of years (maybe more, maybe less) I'm working in a school during a pandemic and decide to retire early. I now have time on my hands to do some things I've wanted to but never got around to. Mention to hubby the idea of trying cold smoking, get a favourable response and here we are.

The ProQ was ordered, found something to convert to a smoker and have done our first cold smoke. Had to have a bit of a role call of the cupboards to find bits and pieces to smoke - almonds, a few dried apricots, piece of cheese and some chocolate - and we were off and running. It went really well. Now looking to buy some cure to make a slab of smoked streaky bacon.

This is our smoker, it's an ex-barbecue originally bought to cook tandoori style about 20 years ago and not used much.

1. The whole thing (we put a foil dish upside down on the top as a lid, there are vents for smoke to escape)

2. It comes apart, smoke generator in the bottom, food on a perforated shelf at around the level of the handles in the top.

3. The bottom, holes for air in under the generator.

Smoker 1.jpg

Smoker 2.jpg

Smoker 3.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, The Bandit said:

It ws hubbys idea to give the bbq a go and I love it! 

It certainly seems to do the job. Only reason we might change it in the future is if we expand our operation😁.

maybe a cap of some sort on top with smaller opening to allow the smoke to draw but not let drizzle and rain in  Also to keep the temp around 20c when doing salmon?  How do you do that. For example, I use black ceramic bulb attached to a pid controller(inkbird) dialled into 20c.  I put this inside my wsm alongside the pro q maze

10 hours ago, Icefever said:

As long as you enjoy it....that's all that maters.

Ice. m0121.gif

We did indeed get a great days fun from our first cold smoking adventure.

6 hours ago, Justin said:

maybe a cap of some sort on top with smaller opening to allow the smoke to draw but not let drizzle and rain in  Also to keep the temp around 20c when doing salmon?  How do you do that. For example, I use black ceramic bulb attached to a pid controller(inkbird) dialled into 20c.  I put this inside my wsm alongside the pro q maze

We do have a cap for it just forgot to put it on for the photos. It's a thick foil pie dish which we scrunched tight around the sides and about two thirds of the slits are covered.

Really sorry but I'm totally flummoxed about the rest of your post.