Just Bought One Of The New ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinets

sotv

7 hours ago, Wade said:

Restricting the air flow to the smoke generator is a delicate balance and I have found that it isn't generally necessary. If you try to restruct the air to extend the burn then it is much more likely that the burn will go out before it is complete - especially as the air cools overnight. Providing a charge of dust/pellets lasts for at least 8 hours then that will be sufficient to get you through the night. You can then reload it in the morning if necessary.

yes, that is correct. but I use the Kamado with minimal air gaps. generator lasts 18 hrs or more.

17 hours ago, yessuz said:

yes, that is correct. but I use the Kamado with minimal air gaps. generator lasts 18 hrs or more.

Can only speak for myself and the device I own, previously used to cold smoke in my ProQ Frontier before buying this cold smoking cabinet. I thought it was great I could get 12-14 hours out of the maze using the frontier and was generally happy with the results.

But since buying this ProQ cabinet although the maze only lasts 5-6 hours, the quality of the smoke and flavour left on the meat is in a different league to what the Frontier produced with it. I put it down to better airflow amongst other things for the improvement and I'm much, much happier with the finished results even if it takes 2 mazes to cover the same amount of time as before, the smoke flavour produced is very different now and all the better for not having such restricted airflow, that I was used to before. 

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Made it, and it works OK...  However!

do you have a condensate issues? I usually keep meats in the smoker (with generator) for 40 hrs or so. but I then have quite a lot of the condensate on the walls and bottom.

do you have issue with that???? any way to sort it out?

• 2 years later...

Hi just bought a pro q cold smoke cabinet and maze.

First attempt yesterday.. 

Dust burnt out within 2 hours and cheese melted through the bars of shelf !

Cheese tastes amazing, but mess left to clean up took ages.

Can anyone suggest where i went wrong ?

Oak dust and cheddar cheese.

Hi Tina

Yes the ambient temperature was too high for the cheese. At the moment the outside temperature is already high, if you have it in the sun it will be even higher - and the smoke maze will also increase the temperature.

Firstly try to find a shady place to set up the smoker and in a place where there is a breeze if you can. Certainly avoid placing it anywhere it will receive direct sunshine. When it is hot - like it has been recently - smoke it in the early morning or later in the evening when it is cooler. Alternatively place a tray of ice inside the smoker chamber to help keep it cool.

The cheddar cheese cut into ~250g chunks and oak dust will be a good combination - though I tend to use Hickory. Dont smoke it for too long - 4 hours in a light smoke is usually more than sufficient. Once smoked have patience... Place it in a ziplock bag in the fridge and leave it for at least a week before tasting. The time will give the smoke a chance to infuse and the raw smoke flavour will mellow.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your replies.

I did try again with the cheese left whole and late evening. I put a tin of ice in chamber with it.  Used smoke generator and beech dust.  Again generator burnt up too fast and was out within 2 hours. 

Cheese didnt melt this time . But has a bitter taste.  Have wrapped it and left for a week, still taste bitter. But i think i will wait until autumn to try again. 

On 7/10/2023 at 10:29 AM, tina said:

Thank you so much for your replies.

I did try again with the cheese left whole and late evening. I put a tin of ice in chamber with it.  Used smoke generator and beech dust.  Again generator burnt up too fast and was out within 2 hours. 

Cheese didnt melt this time . But has a bitter taste.  Have wrapped it and left for a week, still taste bitter. But i think i will wait until autumn to try again. 

Hi Tina - The ProQ cold smoker cabinet is quite confined and so is easy to overheat. A couple more suggestions...

• When you load the dust in your maze be sure to compact it firmly with your fingers before lighting. This helps to stop it flaring up.
  • Try using a larger cabinet - a new garden incinerator works well
  • Always leave your cheese for at least a week (preferably more) before tasting - especially after being exposed to heavy smoke. The sharp smoke taste will mellow over time. When selling my smoked cheese commercially it was rested for at least 3 weeks before I would sell it.

This may help... Dont give up

• 3 months later...
On 4/7/2021 at 6:57 AM, sotv said:

You get three racks with it 12 x 12 inches (maybe room for 1 more, but not seen any spares for sale) I've cold smoked a couple of 2kg loins at once (and I could do 3 easily with the 3 racks),  I have only put one piece on a seperate rack for meats (belly or loin) , but a couple of 1 kg for cheeses on each rack, personally think it would be to tight to fit 2 x  2kg loins on each rack , although the racks would probably hold the weight. It can get a little greasy from the smoke on the sides and back during use, so unless happy to clean it out after every smoke, would be wary of the meat touching the side or back and picking any of it up.

It is serving me very well with the three racks for what I do quantity wise, but for large quantities, like you do, something larger maybe more better for yourself? 

Hi There

if your proQ generator only lasts 6-7 hours, do you refill it and carry on or do you only smoke the belly of pork for 6-7 hours.

I’m looking to start cold smoking and from what I’ve read, it says you should smoke pork belly for around 12 hours.

your reply will really help.

cheers Bob

Hi Bob

You do not need to smoke it all in one go. Most smoke generators struggle to give more tha 6-8 hours continuous smoke. In the summer when its hot it is good to smoke in the cool evening or morning and then put it in the fridge during the day before continuing to smoke. It is not uncommon to do this over 3 consecutive night - depending how much smoke flavour you are looking for.

The answer to your question is yes. You can simply refill and carry on. As @pittmab has said, the joint is already cured and is protected to a dregree from spoilage. Try to keep it at 8 C or below if you can - but it will be fine up to 10-15 C for several hours.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...