Newbie saying Hi!

Elecrafter

Hi peoples, Just got my first smoker a second hand Bradley Digital 4 rack job.  Interested in what will come out of it!

Being second hand, I've found a few issues, but am working to fix them. Should be smoking by the weekend.

Phew! Aren't Bradley bits expensive, and TBH not that well made. Will probably end up making some parts, and make them in stainless rather than chromed steel that cracks and rusts! Why they do that is beyond me, make things properly and they will last and not upset their customers.

Looking forwards to smoking something... anything this weekend.

Ele.

Hi Ice, I'm fairly handy at mending things so should be OK. Spent ages looking at the prices of stainless sheet etc, and the amount of work to make a louvred heat shield, and decided to buy it!  Stainless is hard to do louvres in by hand.

The smoker was fairly black as was expected, but it covered up holes in the water basin, holes in the drip tray, and holes in the louvre'd heat shield. So a Dog Bowl from Ebay, and the racks and shield from Bradley, added to the cost. The Bowl was £13 from Bradley +Vat + Postage, or Stainless Dog Bowl £5 delivered off Ebay, oh and bigger too!  But it all seems to work, having checked out the electronics to find its cheap Chinese components there too. 

I'll get it going, and fit it in with my other hobbies like home brewing etc. Cider is on the go at the moment with lots of apples from the recent gale. Getting tired of Apple and Blackberry crumble, but its eating up last years blackberry stock from the freezer before we fill it up again!

Hopefully it will all come good soon, and by the weekend if the delivery man turns up!

Cheers and thanks.

Ele. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Elecrafter said:

I'll get it going, and fit it in with my other hobbies like home brewing etc. Cider is on the go at the moment with lots of apples from the recent gale. Getting tired of Apple and Blackberry crumble, but its eating up last years blackberry stock from the freezer before we fill it up again!

Another home brewer 👍...great, I racked 23litres of rhubarb wine yesterday, worked out at 22 bottles. I have another 23 litres bucket to do but that will be a couple of weeks.

I've not made cider for years, but like you we have 6 trees on the farm that are loaded, also 8 or 10 crab apples in the wood. I'm having trouble with beer at the moment as it seems it's the one drink that fires up my gout??....cider seems ok??

I've around 7 kg of plums in the freezer that I'm hoping to use making plum jerkum.

Blackberries are a wash out this year, so only the bullace to look forward to in another few weeks.

Ice.

• Like 1

Welcome.

Very glad to have you come join us with your interests and experience

I am in the Anglia Craft Brewers Association. Presently brewing a dry stout for the Christmas competitions.

Still getting through the raspberry and cranberry turbo cider brewed back in June. It is mighty powerful!

Edited by Justin

Ah its that time of the year. A mate gave me a lot of apples, so turned some into cider 30Litres, and froze some, and trying to eat thru the rest!

Cambridge based here, so joined the East Anglia section.  All a bit difficult with the CV19 at the moment. I need to keep well out the way of other people as I am an Old Fart with those "other" problems they mention with CV19. 

Hopefully this will all resolve itself, but will take a couple of years etc, as not much will change until they have a safe and effective vaccine.

When you say Turbo Cider, do you mean you use Turbo yeast?  I 

• Like 1