Chefs Table New Series Starts September 2nd On Netflix Focusing On BBQ Pitmasters From Around The World

sotv

Enjoyed the show, found the Rodney Scott one the most interesting.

Tried doing Tootsie's Salt and Pepper Rub Ribs along with her Mop sauce yesterday, using my Mop Brush to drip it over the ribs to baste, worked really well and gave me the best Bark I have had on ribs, no more brushing or spritzing over the ribs for me.....

• Like 1

I don't use a probe in the ribs during cooking, I go by a rough timing (via a timer for reminding purposes to check on it, during cook), but mainly colour, touch and bend at the end, I do use a Thermapen type temp probe to check it has reached at least 202F when I am happy with the bend, otherwise go by instinct.

It may stall, but did them on my ProQ over the weekend (Pellet Grill out of action at the moment) and it doesn't hold temp so well and fluctuates a little, but would say I did around 4-2-45 minutes cook for them to be ready at around 230F cooking temp and they were a couple of meaty racks of St Louis ribs, layed flat, I would normally do them on Smokeboost at around 200F before wrapping and 250F after that

When my Pellet grill is sorted this week hopefully, intending giving a set ago without wrapping or glazing at the end like she does, to see how it goes. Definitely adds more flavour to the meat using the mop sauce and a great bark, but the ingredients give a massive amount of mop. I reduced by half and still had loads left over, so will reduce by 75% next time. If using the Salt and Pepper at the 60/40 recommendation found it was a little peppery for my taste so aiming for a 75/25 to see how that goes 

Edited by sotv

9 hours ago, sotv said:
2 hours ago, sotv said:

I don't use a probe in the ribs during cooking, I go by a rough timing (via a timer for reminding purposes to check on it, during cook), but mainly colour, touch and bend at the end, I do use a Thermapen type temp probe to check it has reached at least 202F when I am happy with the bend, otherwise go by instinct.

It may stall, but did them on my ProQ over the weekend (Pellet Grill out of action at the moment) and it doesn't hold temp so well and fluctuates a little, but would say I did around 4-2-45 minutes cook for them to be ready at around 230F cooking temp and they were a couple of meaty racks of St Louis ribs, layed flat, I would normally do them on Smokeboost at around 200F before wrapping and 250F after that

When my Pellet grill is sorted this week hopefully, intending giving a set ago without wrapping or glazing at the end like she does, to see how it goes. Definitely adds more flavour to the meat using the mop sauce and a great bark, but the ingredients give a massive amount of mop. I reduced by half and still had loads left over, so will reduce by 75% next time. If using the Salt and Pepper at the 60/40 recommendation found it was a little peppery for my taste so aiming for a 75/25 to see how that goes 

Do you have the mop sauce recipe please?

12 hours ago, Mick said:

Do you have the mop sauce recipe please?

I got it from this article from the magazine that awarded them the Best BBQ Award in Texas

1 gallon water
2 medium white onions, peeled and quartered
1 stick butter
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup Worcestershire
2 tablespoons dry mustard

This makes a huge amount, halved it to try but still had loads left over, so will quarter it next time and still expect it to be to much for a couple of racks. Kept mine warm in a cast iron saucepan alongside the ribs whilst cooking the ribs and did the drip thing rather than the mop it directly over the surface. Found it difficult to do it this way at first, as mindset has always been to rub sauce into the ribs

Harry Soo had done a video and I think I will try this as well, by blending the onions first before making it, rather than afterwards when it has been warmed up

Edited by sotv

1 hour ago, Mick said:

Brilliant thanks sotv will definitely try this, harry soo does some great vids as well, recipe definitely needs scaling down but looks good, so it is a no wrap rib recipe? 

They do on their pits, I went wrapped as I did these on a bullet smoker and find ribs a little over dry when using this method. Hoping to have my pellet smoker working again the weekend, so will try unwrapped on that.

• Like 1