Temp probes & fan

Skagg2000

Just about had enough of my BBQ Guru DX2 today, Yes it was winding but the temperature for both the food & pit were jumping wildly, 40/50 degF differences in seconds The food probe reading was miles off giving 178deg F when the Thermapen said 118degF. both my probes are new & those that have one know these probes are not cheap due to a restricted supply chain.

What else is on the market that will control the temperature in my ProQ / Fornetto & give pit / food readings ideally the device needs to be wifi connected so i can check on progress  when i'm at the supermarket etc

Cheers n Gone Nick

I used a Smartfire last year on my ProQ and it was very good on temps, found the wifi a little iffy at times, but that may have been my connection.  It was a little bit of a learning curve to get used to it, but once I got the hang of it found it to be a good device if a little expensive for what it was. But definitely made temp control and monitoring easier on my ProQ

• 2 weeks later...

have you tried them in boiling water to see if they are accurate?

Can you see any red plastic like substance seeping out of the wires? (need to look really closely at them, especially in the area were the cable passes over the 'rising heat' areas)

One of my probes was reading about 50C above the correct temp...I later realised I had fried the food probe cable on the previous cook (which spiked to around 250C). Luckily the pit probe somehow survived the spike😲

Since then I have not had any problems with my other probes👍

On 9/4/2020 at 11:26 AM, pittmab said:

I just picked up a Thermoworks Signals with Billows attachment, has bluetooth and wifi and fitting it to my Char Broil Kamander was a doddle. There's definitely a learning curve involved but no more than learning to control with the vents in the first place.

The billows & signals kit from thermapen/ETI is next on my list if I'm unable to sort the bbq guru

Cheers n Gone Nick 

On 9/3/2020 at 6:35 PM, AdamG said:

have you tried them in boiling water to see if they are accurate?

Can you see any red plastic like substance seeping out of the wires? (need to look really closely at them, especially in the area were the cable passes over the 'rising heat' areas)

One of my probes was reading about 50C above the correct temp...I later realised I had fried the food probe cable on the previous cook (which spiked to around 250C). Luckily the pit probe somehow survived the spike😲

Since then I have not had any problems with my other probes👍

No need to boil in water they are all over the place. They are stable at low temps but once the temp rises go to pot. 

Somehow I've cooked them as the internal core has melted through the braiding. Not sure how I managed this as the area the probes were in was no where near 500degF 

Anyway these custom probes arrived today from the states they seem well built and use good materials to a good specification 

IMG_20200905_150616.jpg

2 hours ago, Skagg2000 said:

No need to boil in water they are all over the place. They are stable at low temps but once the temp rises go to pot. 

Somehow I've cooked them as the internal core has melted through the braiding. Not sure how I managed this as the area the probes were in was no where near 500degF 

Anyway these custom probes arrived today from the states they seem well built and use good materials to a good specification 

IMG_20200905_150616.jpg

Sounds like they may have been exposed to some direct glow or contact heat if the ambient temp was too low to scorch em. That will be the reason for the temp fluctuations since they seem to read temps from where its melted aswell🤔

I like to use a piece of stainless steel to 'bridge' them over the edges of the grill to protect them from the rising heat. Never had a problem since😁.

I dont use them for temps above 300F/150C anymore, just low and slow mainly.

Hopefully this helps👍😎 

What is the material of the outer shielding on those new ones? They look pretty good👍

Edited by AdamG

This was the basis I made my purchase 

What makes these probes better than the others?
Solid PTFE jacketed wire is easier to wipe down and clean compared to the woven steel wire
SLE Wire is TWICE as accurate as regular wire (+/- 0.50°C for SLE vs. +/- 1.0°C for standard)
Internal sensor is completely sealed with waterproof epoxy for long lasting outdoor use
Sensing Tube has a small thermal footprint - heats up and responds to changes faster!
Low cost - high quality - custom made in the USA!

More detail HERE

Yet to see how they perform, but seem decent.

I'm not connected in any way to this business, just sharing information

Cheers n Gone Nick

On 9/5/2020 at 3:27 PM, Skagg2000 said:

The billows & signals kit from thermapen/ETI is next on my list if I'm unable to sort the bbq guru

Cheers n Gone Nick 

If you decide to go this route, get a "friend" to register on Thermapen site. They can then send you a referral for which you will get 20% off any purchase the "friend" will then receive 10% commission of the purchase. Brings the Signals & Billows in at under £200 :)

• Like 2