The madness begins

mark70

21 hours ago, sotv said:

I always smoke mature when it comes to cheddar's personally, the bite is still there after smoking. 

Hoping to pop to Lidl today as it is Spanish week and they have a couple of good cheeses from Spain.

Use the best I say, you get out what you put in... thanks for the heads up on the Spanish cheeses,  we have a store about 20 mins away,  will see if I can pop down later.

Edited by Icefever

7° C here at 6 am.  Coolest early morning temp for a while and for the foreseeable as well.

24 minutes ago, Icefever said:

Use the best I say, you get out what you put in... thanks for the heads up on the Spanish cheeses,  we have a store about 20 mins away,  will see if I can pop down later.

They also had a nice little 3 different Spanish cheese pack on offer only 50g each. But ideal size and price to try out first, to see if you like them without a big outlay Iberico. Manchego and De Cabra £1.99 

I love Spanish Week, some great hams and stuff on offer. Cooking Paella for 8 tomorrow, as the 24 hours of solid rain forecast for tomorrow here, has put me off the smoke I had originally planned . Got everything you need but the Stock and Valencia Paella Spice mix I use there.

Also I like to stock up on the jars of Pickled Garlic cloves, that are part of the offer. Usually difficult to find cloves in a jar and I use them a lot for my smoking needs and in homemade slaws, 

I could not find dust this morning other the the one that came in the box from pro q. So used that, whatever it is. Box performed brilliantly. Gentle wisps of smoke. Perfect performance. I started at 5.30 am and went back to bed. When I got up 10 mins to go full blue skies and bright sun but happily I placed on spot that does not get sun in morning and temp check bang on 20c  phew. I was worried it would have gone hotter. The piccie below is a 4 hour burn. Looks like I got it bang on. Followed advice on 4 sides. Thank you

20180811_095844.jpg

Edited by Justin
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

I have mentioned Gouda on this thread before, just giving a heads up if anyone interested in smoking some. Lidl have it on offer for a week starting today for  £3.69 for a kg. When smoked goes really well on a toastie if you want to try a different cheese with ham with something like red onion etc

• 3 months later...

Hi, I have a Pro-Q CSG and KJ Big Joe, can I ask how you set up in your Kamado? I seem to find the cavernous size of the joe prohibitive to the size of the CSG. Longs smokes aren't just as smoky as my previous smaller BBQs.

Appreciate I'm kind of answering my own question (get a smaller BBQ/box) but I'm trying us work with what I have.

2 hours ago, LanQBBQ said:

Hi, I have a Pro-Q CSG and KJ Big Joe, can I ask how you set up in your Kamado? I seem to find the cavernous size of the joe prohibitive to the size of the CSG. Longs smokes aren't just as smoky as my previous smaller BBQs.

Appreciate I'm kind of answering my own question (get a smaller BBQ/box) but I'm trying us work with what I have.

There are devices that push out more smoke for cold smoking, but as you say you want to work with what you got. I don't have a KJ Big Joe so unsure if it would work. but have you tried lighting the CSG from both ends so they eventually meet in the middle. You can light them from the top as easy as from the bottom. It may produce the extra smoke you are looking for?

If cold I m not  sure it matters as the smoke will build up in the space and happily flavour your cheeses? Pro q maze etc gentle works away and is perfect. Or maybe a very small investment in pro q eco box will do the trick for you like it does for me