It’s been too long, so I fired up the smoker

Thenegativeone

So, hello again! It’s been too long since I smoked anything and even longer since I was last here. I was getting withdrawal symptoms so I got a cheap bit of brisket and threw it on with some garlic bulbs and chillis I got off a mate for nothing, turned out pretty well!

I used the garlic to make a smoked garlic and black pepper mayo to go with the brisket and it was spot on. The chillis I will dry out completely and use for smoked chilli powder.

hope everyone’s well and I’ll be hanging around here a bit more from now on hopefully.

1C288EB4-393D-4BA2-A169-3215EE6BDD09.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Afternoon,

With the brisket. I always find it hard to get a decent piece. Do you just smoke the rolled brisket that you can pick up from the super market or do you always go for a packer cut brisket. I've not smoked a packer cut brisket yet as they are a bit expensive and most would end up going to waste as they are so big and not tried rolled brisket from the shops as I'm not sure what the result would be.

The problem with rolled brisket is that they are often quite thin when they are unrolled. The best source is a local butcher. You may have to give them a few days notice so they can sort you out a thick chunk of the flat, but they should be able to sell you the thickness that you want in the quantity you want it.

15 hours ago, GlasgowSmoke said:

Butcher I go to is good so shouldn't be a problem. 

Keep on his/her good side and you will be on to a winner. They are sometimes a little more expensive per Kg than a supermarket but you can usually get exactly what you want. Next time you do ribs, ask your butcher for racks of "meaty" ribs. You will not go back to "standard" ribs afterwards.

• 1 year later...
40 minutes ago, Wade said:

I really should try LIDL. We have not had one close to us that has been easily accessible - but a month or two ago a large LIDL (or is that a LIDL and large) has opened up.

Definitely worth popping in and trying them out imho. I certainly wouldn't get a full weekly shop from there, as I like some of my branded goods. But there bread, meat, cheese and antipasta meats are excellent value compared to the bigger supermarkets, I find and just as good or even better quality, than most supermarkets.

Maybe worth popping in the weekend, from today they are doing 1kg of 21 day aged rump steaks (5 in pack) for  £9.79 ( going to try christen my proq plancha with them in the coming days)

Also have a look at the Briskets and on Saturday and Sunday their Valley Spire Extra Mature Cheddar (think equivalent to Cathedral City Mature for creaminess and texture and taste) but does cold smoke well and will be on offer this weekend for only £2.39 for 830g

Hey find Lidl better than Aldi in terms of vegetables and they have a better range 

I just find chicken from both Aldi and Lidl to be fatty . So we mix it in with Morrison’s and butchers 

but Xmas mainly had a Lidl Xmas food There antipasti and other stuff are great 

I like Lidl ales ( when I do drink ) . But Aldi wine is better . 

4 minutes ago, jockaneezer said:

I had a look at the brisket in my local Lidl, they just looked like 1 kg bags of mystery meat and blood ! I do buy their individual aged steaks that only take a few minutes on the barbie and their antipasti packs and charcuterie are great for our pizza parties.

Yea I had the same issue last night. Went down to look at the one in Kirkintilloch and they were all tiny with fat and thin ends. By the time they were trimmed would be nothing left. Just bought some bratwurst for the BBQ instead. I think some stores are a lot better than others when it comes to meat / deals.

• Like 2