Scott T

Frozen supermarket chicken wings

Has anyone ever cooked frozen, supermarket bought, chicken wings in an offset smoker. Should they be thawed overnight, before putting on the smoker. The wings my mrs bought are not flavoured, just plain. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for that, smoking monkey. I know they are supermarket bought but hopefully will turn out ok. 👍😊

Edited by Scott T
  • Like 1

I have seen some people smoke frozen food. As Smoking says I'd rather defrost first in the normal safe manner then cook from chilled especially with chicken. As for supermarket wings I wouldn't worry about it. While butcher is better, any cut of meat smoked is a bonus and it all comes down to your budget and especially atm not everyone can get out to get their normal supplies. 

23 hours ago, Scott T said:

Has anyone ever cooked frozen, supermarket bought, chicken wings in an offset smoker. Should they be thawed overnight, before putting on the smoker. The wings my mrs bought are not flavoured, just plain. 

Defrost them by placing them in the fridge overnight ready for the day they are needed. That is the Food Standards Agency recommended thawing method. After that add any marinade and leave them in in the fridge for 3 or 4 hours to flavour. Once cooked you will not be able to tell whether they were fresh or frozen.

• Like 1

Cheers for that

On 5/20/2020 at 11:52 AM, hoogl said:

I have seen some people smoke frozen food. As Smoking says I'd rather defrost first in the normal safe manner then cook from chilled especially with chicken. As for supermarket wings I wouldn't worry about it. While butcher is better, any cut of meat smoked is a bonus and it all comes down to your budget and especially atm not everyone can get out to get their normal supplies. 

cheers for that 👍

Most (if not all I bet) chicken wings you get will have been frozen at some point. Defrost before cooking though.

I tend to wash all my chicken fresh or frozen/de-frosted

Lemon is good, rub all over and wash off

If not the chicken has been in the fridge a couple of days the skin can smell. I wash with vinegar, rinse well and wash in lemon and rinse

Just my way and what I have always done

I wouldn't recommend washing chicken, you risk splashing campylobacter all over the place.

• Like 1

Yep fresh always

I never wash fresh chicken, unless its been in the fridge a few days

On 6/12/2020 at 3:11 PM, flearider said:

just buy fresh .. no point in buying frozen wings .. 1kg aldi £1.59

Will have a look 👍

Just side note, I bought 2 lots Tesco's wings last week, freshly packed. 1.2 KG I think they were, shocking wings, cost about £`.70 I think

Hot easy to prepare, looked over white, bit too much fat, Seemed to cook OK, the taste was not right

Not recommend. Use a lot of Aldi and Lidl, no problems, thou with wings look at he pack and try to buy biggest wings, little wings are lovely thou cook quicker and can overcook in an instant

Halal shops are pretty good but you buy in money. Ask for £5 worth of wings and point. Never had a problem and the meats fine. Thou Halal I do wash and lemon wash the second time, rightly or wrongly thats what I have always done